• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What mobo for amd 3000 64bit?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DaRky4YoU

What mobo should i buy for an amd 3000+ 64 bit

i can choose from these brands:

Abit

ASRock

Asus

Gigabyte

Leadtek WinFast

MSI

I would go with the Asus. Go over to xtremesystems.org/forums and do a search. People really seem to like it.

more info needed.

are you overclocking? if so that eliminates the abit, asrock, asus, and msi. afaik all of these are Via chipsets which will kill your overclock if you have a sensitive video card.. such as an ATI. nvidia cards however are much less sensitive to agp speed increases.

leaving the gigabyte and leadtek nf3 150 boards. the gigabyte K8N is prefered over the leadtek board.

What does the video card have to do with it? The only thing that I can think of is that the video card overclocks when you raise the FSB becuase there are dividers and not a PCI/AGP lock, but, wouldn't it do the same thing for the nforce3 boards too? Or is it the AGP controller that does not work as well with ATI's?

@md0Cer said:
What does the video card have to do with it? The only thing that I can think of is that the video card overclocks when you raise the FSB becuase there are dividers and not a PCI/AGP lock, but, wouldn't it do the same thing for the nforce3 boards too? Or is it the AGP controller that does not work as well with ATI's?
NF3 has AGP lock :)

sweet! I never knew that.

My Via kt400 board does not have any PCI or AGP lock on it and rage3d tweak still reports my Vid cards speeds the same. Maybe it is just reporting them as to what they would be if my fsb was at stock speed according to the divider. That would be sweet becuase then my video card might actually be going much faster than 320 and 280

@md0Cer said:
sweet! I never knew that.

My Via kt400 board does not have any PCI or AGP lock on it and rage3d tweak still reports my Vid cards speeds the same. Maybe it is just reporting them as to what they would be if my fsb was at stock speed according to the divider. That would be sweet becuase then my video card might actually be going much faster than 320 and 280
no the speed of the interface doesn't really help you at all. a video card running at 66mhz agp and one running at 75mhz agp will score nearly identically.

With an adequate amount of vAGP, R3xx's should be able to take about an 80MHz AGP bus rate, so the VIA chipset won't hurt. Neither will its full speed 800MHz hypertransport bus. The Asus K8V is usually the top choice for anyone who doesn't need an extreme overclock, because although VIA's limit the fsb, they deliver higher performance at the same speeds.

Gautam said:
With an adequate amount of vAGP, R3xx's should be able to take about an 80MHz AGP bus rate, so the VIA chipset won't hurt. Neither will its full speed 800MHz hypertransport bus. The Asus K8V is usually the top choice for anyone who doesn't need an extreme overclock, because although VIA's limit the fsb, they deliver higher performance at the same speeds.
thats what i though as well...

except... i compared my 3dmark 03 to another score using the CPUmarks i outscored the other score which used a 2352mhz A64 compared to my 2350 A64. his was on a Via chipset board, mine the NF3 150. i outscored him about 881 to 850 if i recall correctly.

now that is JUST cpu no video cards and mine was faster.

Back