• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

vido card doesnt like my OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Como

okay, my specs are in my sig.

i had this running at 220X11 at 1.8Vcore, stable for 5-8 hours prime (i cant run it when i'm not here, or sleeping)

SO, i get my vid card, and plug it in....reinstall os and whatnot. NOW, if i have this computer at 220Xanything, it crashes out of 3dmark2001SE in seconds. 200X11 still crashes within a min. 200X10 seems to make it through the bench.

So, whats up with that?

Also, i'd like ot OC my vid card...how would i go about this? i can change the AGP voltage and the frequency...which is at 1.5V / 66 at the moment...is this the only way to oc a video card? thanks.

As far as your CPU OC goes... you either do not have adequate cooling, or your CPU simply cannot run stable at those speeds.

No, that is not the way to OC a video card, you eant to up the memory and core. You have yours at 275 and 550, I found mine to run stable at the speed stated in my sig. That is also with stock cooling. Try using coolbits to OC your video card, or search www.guru3d.com.

well, it WAS stable just fine. till i got the video card in there. why would adding a video card suddenly make my oc extreemely unstable at levels lower than my previous 100% stability? and the vid card is at total stock thus far, i'll replace the cooler later, i just dont understand why...why did it kill my wonderful oc? :(

Some video cards do not like the AGP buss to be too far out of spec. Drop down to 4X AGP it your BIOS and see if that helps.

hmm, good idea...i set it from auto to 8X as soon as i saw the option, never thoguht of that.
also, anyone wanna gimme a quick rundown on how to change my 275X550 to something like, oh, lets say 300X600? okay, so i'll go as high as stable, but still. i have not a clue how to change it.

most likely you dont have your pci/agp bus locked down but your old card(or no card) could take the higher bus and the new card wont, thats what i would guess what happend, if you can lock them down do it and should solve the problem.

the old card was pci, and i assume anything on the pci was locked...how do i lock the bus's? i also noticed that the pci vid card was gettign a little warmer than it usually does in another system...but i figured it was a diff card i was remembering. (i have 4 of the same card, used for testing mobo/ram/cpu/stuff)

where do i lock the agp bus? never saw that option in the bios...is it a jumper?

it says in where u change the fsb agp something 66

uninstall the motherboard drivers and install them again when i was waiting on my 9700NP i had to use a 4meg pci card for a few days and when i put the 9700NP in i had some horrible things happening to me intill i done what i said above :)

you can lock the pci/agp buses in the bios IF it supports it...not all motheboards will allow you to. if you do there should be a setting for agp fsb frequency(something along those lines) and it should be defualted at 66 mghz.

you should have an option of

locking the AGP and PCI at like 33/66/100 in bios.
Like others said, its a problem if you cant. I had that problem before, till i locked down the AGP/PCI bus speed.

GL

Harry

i can set the "AGP frequency", the min is 66 and hte max is liek 100 something...if i set it to 66 its "locked" ?

i'll try doing a clean windows install on my other hard drive tonight, this one has all my crap on it and is alreaduy having issues....(i installed osme burning software to make a cd for today wiht my latest acured cd's best songs (i encole all my own mp3's, i recently got my hands on "stereomud - perfect self" )
and now i'm getting blue screen and Easy cd creator doesnt see my burner :p yeah, i hate software. i miss DOS. i got a 100MHZ laptop the other day, if i can get a harddrive for it i'll put some small redhat text on it and learn that...someday i'll work in text again, and still be abel to burn cd's or play games :) yay. thanks for hte advice, i'll post my results after a fresh install.

alright, thanks. i figured out my timing issue, i had my ram timings at 2-2-2-2 instead of 3-2-2-2 where its supposed to be...i remember putting it there, but i remember putting it back too...weird. someday i'll learn what the numbers mean :p it runds fien at 220X11 now, 220X11.5 if ut put my vcore at 1.825, but i need to lapp my sp-97, i crashed due to heat..i thinkl,. when it restarted it was still at 45C about 30 seconds aftrer...maybe i'll monitor hte cpu temp next time i bench :p

I totally forgot to ask about your ram

timeings. I have that problem also if i tighten the timeings too much. But one thing i found in my case, Is if i loosend the timeings one notch, i benched in 3dmark Quite a few marks higher. Hmmmm.

Glad it all worked out.

Harry

good idea. i'll try it...you never know.

also, i set *something* to "3/3", i heard 1/1 is a good thing, i still dont know what it was but i assume its hte same thing...i also assume 3/3 is the same as 1/1...theres no 1/1 option but in math class its the same. i also have an option for 6/6...whats the difference?

Ya got me there man,

3/3 6/6 i have no clue. Maybe Mica or someone will stumble in here and give ya the heads up on that one.

Harry

that'd be nice, there are a bunch of options like 3/4 and whatnot...but i'm at 3/3 right now, and no idea what it is...i could also set it to "by SPD", whatever that is...

By speed is

The regular timeings for the ram. Its what Bios reads off the ram chip. Now i know what your talking about. 3/3 is good if it works for you. 3/4 is also good. If it works. Get it stable, and run PCmark and check your memory marks. Then try the next stable divider and bench again. What ever one Benches better while stable(and still fixes your problem) Thats the one id use.

Harry

Back