• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

um...where did my programs go?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

killer7

I just installed my printer on Mandrake 9.2 because I needed to print something. Once I was done I went to the "start menu" (lol) and none of the icons (i.e. Applications, Configuration, etc) were there. Only the folder icons. Also, for some reason not all of my software is there. When you go under Multimedia, instead of sound video, etc., there is just sound. When you go to Networking, all that is shows is WWW and Mail. There is no IRC or Chat etc. The programs aren't gone either. I typed "totem" into the command prompt and the dvd player came right up. So far Mandrake 9.2 has been very frustrating.

I think its a feature of mandrake to have a f'ed up kicker. Its happened to me on 8.0 8.1 8.2 and 3 versions of 9.2

mandrake wouldnt be mandrake without it. lol. /fdisk

I had the same thing happen to me when I added something to my system. Go to the start menu, then "configuration", then "Configure your computer". Then click the icon for "System". Then click the icon next to the text that says: "MenuDrake helps you change what programs are shown on the menu". When that opens up, just simply close it. Doing that reset my system back to displaying everything, it should (hopefully) do it for you too.

Thank you Hyundai, however, I found an even easier thing. Turns out this is just a bug in Mandrake 9.2 that can be fixed like this:

Open up a terminal
type "menudrake"
click the save button

This will return it to normal, this can often happen when installing new sofware.

Thanks!

Back