• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

250w Sufficient

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ambiguous

I am building a new system for my cousin and I have a 250w powersupply that I was going to throw in with the case iam giving her, would that be enough to power a +2500 barton, Asus A7N8X, Corsair pc3200, and a 9600XT. There will be no over clocking involved, just wondering if it would be stable enough. Thanks in advance.

ambi

I highly doubt it. The combined 3.3 and 5v output should be 220w for a stock system. You can get a nice Sparkle/Fortron/Antec 350w PSU for cheap at Newegg. Otherwise, you run the risk of the system not POSTing or randomly crashing.

~THT

i don't think it will be enough,
as the manual for my mobo suggest a 400 watt
as for dells they are just throwing those together.
now if thats a quality PSU it might be OK for a wile

An Fortron/Source (FSP Group) 300W PSU sells for only $30 shipped from NewEgg. It is a good budget-buy PSU from a very good PSU company. It's alot more consistant, and has stronger rails then most 350W PSU's.

A Fortron/Source FSP350-60PN is probably the most bang-for-the-buck PSU under $50, selling for $42 shipped from NewEgg.

With these PSU's out there for not that much dough, one would question the need to go low when building a new system. Unless, of course, that system happens to mATX, Flex, or other smaller formats.

Ambiguous said:
I am building a new system for my cousin and I have a 250w powersupply that I was going to throw in with the case iam giving her, would that be enough to power a +2500 barton, Asus A7N8X, Corsair pc3200, and a 9600XT. There will be no over clocking involved, just wondering if it would be stable enough. Thanks in advance.

ambi

It may do the job, depends on the brand and model. A Fortron 250w can power a surprisingly large load, while a Deer 250w would have problems powering anything.

You could just go with the ignored $27 300W that's silently powering my system. There's really no need for any more. People just seem to feel that 350W is nicer sounding number, I guess. For $15 less, I tend to believe that the 300W is a nicer value than the 350W.

The reason why Dell's come with 250w PSUs is because they did the actual math to determine the peak amount of power consumption by the system and have put in a PSU that consistently delivers just enough of what they need (say 110% of peak theoretical needs) to keep costs low. They know the internals of everything before the parts are ordered. We enthusiasts/hobbyists don't do that kind of work and instead, err on the side of caution by buying larger capacity PSUs. For all we know, the 250w PSU in a Dell system puts out close to 220w while the PSU Ambiguous has only puts out 180w or some other arbitrary number.

~THT

I did it for a bit on my secondary system. I had an old asus board, 1700+ (Palimino then T-Bred), 512 of samsung ram, a geforce 4, nick, an old 40 gig hd and a typical cdrom and floppy. Worked just fine, no crashes or anything. But I also didn't overclock it and don't remember what brand it was. But kept the voltages under a sufficient level without problems for about 1 year until I swapped it out.

Back