• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

which lquid to use for a waterchiller

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ailijic1985

Registered
I have heard that due to the low temperature you have to use stuff that wont freeze.

so either antifreeze or window washer fluid

any others?

I heard that at really low temps the antifreeze gets real thick and doesnt flow to well.

I heard that the washer fluid can have a problem with being pumped because of desity or surface tension.

what are the chemicals that can be used?
what are the pros and cons?
which of them has the best heat capasity?

sorry about spelling

washer contains denatured alocohol so you don't even want that
go for a 50/50 antifreeze mix and you'll be good to go

with my chiller, the temps went even so low that the pure anti-freeze started to get thick. my flow with a l30 was reduced to about .25 gallons/minute @ 2.5ft head.

Just make sure you dont use a liquid that is incompatable with your O-rings, Tubes and Pump materials.

I really think that windshield washer fluid is the way to go. Also, how does it being denaturated make a difference? All I find is it causes you to throw up when you drink it (yes, i learned my lesson, it said ethyl on the front though). Which methanol tends to do no matter what.

As far as flow rate goes, it shouldnt be an issue. Just use a concentration of alchohol appropriate to your temperatures, and you'll do much better than anti-freeze.

i would use denaturated alchool from home depot in the painting department or pure gas-line antifreeze which is pure methonal
or use stright windshield washer fluid since no water is need because it has water in the mix with it
but i personally use denaturated alchool mixed with water

but rember that all the above have methonal in it so wear gloves, safty googles, work in a will ventilted place, and make sure your res is as air tight as possible when using any methonal

Back