• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

:Buying a PSU, a little help. thx

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I would suggest the Sparkle (Fortron) 350w at Newegg for $38, or the 120mm fan version for $39. Either will outpower the Powmax handily. If cash weren't so tight, the Fortron 530w or Antec Truepowers above 430w would be better if you plan to overclock.

On the Powmax or the Fortrons? The Fortrons are proven performers and tend to exceed their ratings by quite a bit (many people are running dual AMD setups with them). I also rarely hear about them failing. They should have no problem with a P4 unless you're running a massive overclock on them, which is why I suggested the 530w if you have the cash.

Powmax, OTOH, are just one step above Deer which is arguably the worst there is. High failure rate, and many times they don't meet their label ratings.

If you look at getting a Sparkle, which in some cases can be chaeper than a Fortron, make sure it has FSP in the item number. The other Sparkle PSU's without the FSP are of substandard quality. the FSP350-60PN from either Fortron or Sparkle are both rated for P4 and AMD systems. These PSU's are the same just with different maker labels on them. It has been tested to produce inexcess of 400 watts.

Ugh - except for the heatsinks, that new Powmax looks about as well made as the 250w Deer I have sitting next to me... not good :(

Not sure I care for the Raidmax in the other pic either, but at least the main filter caps are a little bigger.

Back