• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

80 Gig Wester Digital HELP PLEASE!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Canadian_4_Evr

Registered
I just put together a brand new computer and was trying 2 hook up my 80 gig IDE hard drive to transfer files to my new 160gig SATA hard drive... but it wouldn't pick up the 2nd partition and wouldn't even recognize the drive... so i just moved it back into my other computer... thing is now it won't even work!!! Neither computer even recognizes when its plugged in.... what did i do??? and is there any way i can get it working again so i can transfer the files that are on it???

I've done that... but the thing is the drive isn't even spinning or showing any signs of running.... whenever it has power to it it just seems to heat up a bit... but you don't hear it movings.... i have no idea what 2 do, i've got a lot of stuff on it that i need 2 keep but it just seems to be dead and there doesn't seem to be any way 2 make it work... is there any way i could do something to copy the whole drive??? or at least get it working????

Yeah……..I would say it’s dead also.
But, you can try re-seating all the cables to the drive, in particular, the power cable.
Also, try a different power cable from the power supply.
Last resort would be to take it to somebody that can possibly extract the data from it, although, I don’t see how they could. But, you never know.
I would just forget about the lost data, start over with the 160gig, backup often, and RMA the 80gig (if you can).
Just my opinion.
Good luck!

Back