• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me choose water additives...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MameXP

OK i have :
+ Swiftech HydrX
+ Anti-frezze mixture (10%)

Which one is better? I want to have anti-corrosion and bateria as my block is swiftech (Alu top).

Thanks
ps. oh tubing will be clearFlex

I just use plain old car antifreeze (whatever we had in the garage) and you can see my temps in my sig. I tooka gallon of water, poured out about a cup and a half then filled the space in with anti-freeze. That give something like a 15/85 mixture (I'm going off the top of my head so you might wanna recalculate how much to take out) and you can see my temps in my sig.

hey Biznatch i think your sensors are wrong , reason being that the zchip and gpu restrict soo much , you must live where it is cold.

¯??i]Originally posted by MameXP [/i]
OK i have :
+ Swiftech HydrX
+ Anti-frezze mixture (10%)

Which one is better? I want to have anti-corrosion and bateria as my block is swiftech (Alu top).

Thanks
ps. oh tubing will be clearFlex
[/QUOTE]

Don't use regular antifreeze (ethylene glycol based) ... it will degrade Clearflex PVC tubing in a few weeks. Clearflex is not the best stuff, but if you use propylene glycol based antifreeze (e.g. Sierra) it will last much longer (many months, maybe a year or more) with Clearflex PVC tubing. The life times I mentioned are relative, but I just researched same recently for my project based on chemical compatibility charts ... Also, with Clearflex, never use windshield washer fluid ... the methanol with attack it in days! To get better life with any liquid, go with Tygon R-3603 ... sure, it costs about 5x more, but lasts 5x longer ... ask yourself, "how much is your cpu worth"? Good luck on your project!

KK

So what type of antifreeze i should use? Should i just go to the shop and say " i want propylene glycol based antifreeze" ?

Thanks, hmm i wonder hows good the swiftech coolant? What kind of tubing does the swiftech kit have anyway?

Thanks for the input guys

Last edited:
my clearflex is cloudy since i used zerex antifreze :( oh well it hasnt effected temps any and i still can see uv dye so its all good!

Cool, i will buy that anti-freeze then

No words on the swiftech coolant? since i have it already i want to see if i should try it. I'm too lazy to change the coolant once its set so...

Thanks guys,
PS. just FYI this setup is for my roommate i help him out since hes a total noob just want to see what watercooling is :)

SK8 said:
my clearflex is cloudy since i used zerex antifreze :( oh well it hasnt effected temps any and i still can see uv dye so its all good!

Tubing can get "cloudy" a couple of ways; the less harmful is simply from mineral deposits from hard water if distilled water was not used, the other is from degradation of tubing due to chemical attack ... it may not be leaking now, but as it either gets mushy or brittle, it will eventually start to leak at fittings and connections. You may want to flush your system and replace the tubing if you see signs of that. Consider trying Sierra antifreeze which is based on the more friendly propylene glycol.

KK

Kooler King, I have a slightly related question for you.

What about 'Zerex Supercoolant', and 'Dexcool' Anti-Freeze?

Do they contain the harmful ethylene glycol, or the safer propylene glycol?

Here is a pic of the new zerex i got today along with some a/c leak dye :)
zerexanddye.jpg

Bailey said:
I use Zerex "Super Protectant" (water pump lubricant), it contains neither color, or odor, or glycol (of any type). It's strictly an anti-corrosive. It's also under $3 @ the local auto parts store.

Link to Zerex product -

http://www.valvoline.com/pages/products/product_detail.asp?product=17

Sorry to revive this thread, but do you use only zerex? If you are using it as an additive to water, what ratio are you using?

MameXP said:
So what type of antifreeze i should use? Should i just go to the shop and say " i want propylene glycol based antifreeze" ?

Thanks, hmm i wonder hows good the swiftech coolant? What kind of tubing does the swiftech kit have anyway?

Thanks for the input guys

the swiftech kit uses "high quality vinyl tubing".

don't know how the HydrX performs relative to antifreeze - one definite advantage would be that the recommended proportion is 5% - water is the best fluid so the higher the % of water the better performancewise .....

given that you have a swiftech block then using their addidive seems to make sense. the only downside i could see is if you don't like the colour....

heheh thanks I have decided to use Hydrx after talking to BillA. :) And it has been used for 2 weeked :). The decision making is over :p.

Oh the color is great. UV reactive too :cool:

diggingforgold said:

Sorry to revive this thread, but do you use only zerex? If you are using it as an additive to water, what ratio are you using?

zerex super protector will stain your tubing. its cool cause its clear, but after a few weeks it will get a bad green hue in it. it did it to my tygon. the liquid is still clear, but the tubing gets icky looking

Back