• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how do get my program to run inside other programs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ailijic1985

Registered
I relise this is a very hard question so if you could post links that would be fine
I use C++ and want to know how to get my programs to work in somthing other than dos like word or in a game.

please help

You need to clarify yourself.

You don't just 'run inside other programs'.

You want to write a script for MS Word or a mod for a game like Quake3 or Halflife?

I use C++ and want to know how to get my programs to work in somthing other than dos like word or in a game.

please clarify, are you meaning you want to do application programming in the Win32 environment, then you need to take alook at the MSDN library(www.msdn.com), and pick up a book, I recommend Petzold's book, which you can find on amazon.com

Hmm, technically, the programs you compile are windows applications. They just happen to be command-line utilities. What you really want to do (from what I understood in your post) is to learn how to create GUIs for your programs; you want to learn some of the win32 API. Or if you have MS VC++, COM or MFC. (Or maybe .Net). There were some good suggestions above for that.

A shorter (and cheap!) reference is Nitty Gritty Windows Programming with C++.

Good luck! -- Paul

thx for the info and links I didnt know I was being vauge.

to calify how would I create a mod for a game say quake 3

How would I interface and use another device such as a network card? would I need a specific class designed for it? if so where could I find one.

to calify how would I create a mod for a game say quake 3

download the source code and take a look at its documentation.

How would I interface and use another device such as a network card? would I need a specific class designed for it? if so where could I find one.

access to such things as the network card are usually beyond the control of regular people, however, learning the Win32 API Winsock subset is how you can use the network card/modems for connecting to other machines.

In the case of the network card, you wouldn't actually need to talk straight to the card unless you were cooking your own packets or doing something else funny.

Just use Winsock.

Back