• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Poor Celeron can't fold

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hafaphoto

I finally got my new computer networked to an old junker (300 mgz celeron) and it completes 3% of the WU and locks up. It locks up so well that ctrl alt del does nothing!

I am going to try to revive my old AMD 300 mgz puter and see if it can do a little folding. I think I can o/c the old AMD machine a little bit! Any help working with old machines would be greatly appreaciated! I know they do not do much, but every little bit helps!

Oh yeah, I went to my folks house and got a 733 mgz online!

E

IMHO I'm not sure they're worth the electricity cost and time to use for folding.

I have a 6 year old celereon 300A system that is folding stable at 450MHz. I cleaned it up and started folding with it soon after learning about F@H. The first work unit was a 50-60 point unit which would take 9 days running 24/7 to complete. It would have finished well within the alloted time. On the 7th day of folding, we had a power outage which caused an error on the celeron and it lost the work unit; 7 days lost. I could have replaced the batteries in an old UPS for it, but decided it just wasn't worth folding with an old, slow computer. It works well for a newbie relative now; when they learn enough and want to upgrade, then I'll borg the replacement:D

Others will differ, but for myself, if I'm going to buy/scrounge and test/assemble a system primarily for folding, it won't be less than a 1GHz processor most likely 1.5GHz or higher. If someone offered a working computer to me for free, it would have to be at least 700-800MHz with SSE to fold just to be folding. My time and electricity is worth something so I'll make the most of both.

EDIT: I can understand folding on a 500MHz computer if it's going to be on doing something else anyway (especially if it has SSE, the 300A doesn't).

Last edited:
i have several 500mhz p3's that fold constnatly, as long as they are on they might as well be doing something! heck the SSE really elps out on the gromacs!

I've pushed both lowend celly's and k6's to around 500 mhz and done well. But today its too much a hassle when you can buy a Barton for less money than a trip to Cinemaxx or the local IMAX.

Cheers, Flix

I have a 800 Mhz Athlon that does a WU every 3 days with just 3DNow, but other than that, I don't like to fold with less than 1 Ghz.

Hrm. I guess I should toss the rig in my avatar. It was hogging a good cd burner and to be useful to me other than fold, it would need to have a wireless adapter.

Ahh lessons learned...

I am pulling the plug on messing around with the old computers. Hopefully in the near future, I can build a faster computer than my Barton 2500, and then make a folding network! I am glad I tried to network the two computers, I learned a lot about networking!

I guess in the end, it is all about learning new stuff, trying it, then trying to make it work faster!

Peace

E

My parent's stupid Celeron 566 wont even fold. When I try to open up the graphical client, the computer restarts. It does that every single time. I think it's time that my parents get a new computer.

Download and use the text based client then; it should have fewer compatability issues then.

As far as older computers go, I would just use them as a Smoothwall box/Firewall for the folding network or for learning Linux.

Back