• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What do i do????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

alfed

Registered
Ok, i have a terrible setup. I plan on buying a new processor and motherboard. Any advice? Please keep in mind i plan on overclocking, so i'm hoping for something that isnt locked... Please suggest a processor and mobo in a decent price range. The only purpose of my pc is gaming, i play chess with engines. The faster the pc, the better the engine performs...
(i know i'm asking a lot, why dont you just come by and put it together too;) )
Thanks again

I would say to find a pre week 35 Athlon XP 2500+ "Barton" and a nForce2 motherboard. I have no idea what your budget is but you can pick up an unlocked 2500+ on eBay for around $100 and a good Abit NF7-S for the same price.

Unlocked 2500+

Abit NF7-S

For about $200 you can have one of the best 32bit x86 overclocking setups around...

cpu go for a barton 2500 or even the 2600
2500 will give multiplier of 11 and 2600 give you 11.5

basically all bartons do 11x200 for xp3200 with little vcore increase

then you have to worry about temperatures, temperture is a big issue, keep temps below 50 deg and ok above cpu wont last long

Thank you

Thank you for the advice.... what is pre week 35? is that the production week? i'm pretty clueless and i'm sure you have better things to do... but i'm also wondering, when i change my motherboard/processor, will that affect my drives? will my cd rom still work with a new mobo/proc?

Yes you will have to reformat tho. In most cases anyway.

I recommend the new DFI inffinity for 93 bux @ newegg and the 2100 0EM for 62bux and hope you get a unlocked 2100 if not the cpu will limit your overclock big time stuck @ a 13 muitliper or you could get a duron 1.4 or 1.6 there 37 and 42 if you are on a tight budget if not get the 2500 barton. I do like my nf7-s tho. Make sure you get some good ram pc3200 or better.

cpu, mobo, vga, power supply, cooling, ram, HD, volt's and time will all be needed when overclocking a system

O and WELCOME TO OUR FORUM"S

FSB is very important for gaming.

MHz speed = [FSB] x multiplier

If you don't have high quality RAM you can't do high FSBs.
Average PC2700s do 166 to maybe low 190s.

They're OK but good PC3200 RAM will give you FSB way into 200s.

If you have PC3200 RAM, brand new locked 2500+s are your best bet as they overclock further than old locked Bartons. You can get 2500+s at newegg.com and zipzoomfly.com.

If you don't have PC3200 RAM, go with 2100+ B.

Best mobo is Abit nForce2 and DFI nForce2.
Best affordable is Soltek nForce2.

Power supply makes or breaks an overclock.
Best affordable are Fortron or Sparkle PSUs.

Thank you all very much, very helpful information. In the next 10 days i will be purchasing my new rig. I will try to keep you guys updated on how it goes. Thanks yet again:)

and by the way, anyone coming across this thread, feel free to post your opinion on what i should get. Remember, cheap and fast, oh and oc'able....

Back