• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BH-5 or ADATA?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hoytron

After much searching, I was finally able to locate some BH-5 for my P4 2.4C system. That is I found it for a reasonable price, $140 for two sticks of 256MB. I've thoroughly tested it, and found that it will do up to 220MHz dual channel at 3.3V with tight timings (2-2-2-5). Loosening the timings gives me a few more MHz, but I lose performance. I must say that I'm quite disappointed. At this speed, I can only clock my CPU to 3.3GHz with the 4:5 divider, and I know that the chip will do 3.6GHz and more.

So, I'm thinking of buying some ADATA PC4000, and trying to run it 1:1, and seeing if that will let me run the processor higher. I have the ability to give it the voltage it needs. I'm just wondering if I will actually take a performance hit. I've read the articles about timings vs speed, and saw that both sides of the issue were neck and neck. I also noticed that in most of the comparisons that people were getting better results from the BH-5. I'm also not in the position to try any other BH-5, as it has become very hard to find at a reasonable price.

So when it comes down to it, I would just like to know if you folks think would be better: 2-2-2-5 @ 220MHz, or 3-4-4-8 @ 300MHz. What do you think?

I forgot to mention that I will probably be upgrading to a prescott sometime this year, and I may need memory that will clock higher.

the general consensus is that u want the fastest cpu speed first. so if the bh5 is limiting your cpu speed200-300 mhz your gonna take a big performance hit.. adata pc4000 is renouned for achieving speeds of 275+ especially with hi vdimm voltage. of course nothing is guarenteed but if i were u id go with the adata,
do a vmem mod and see how far i could make it run 1-1 with loose timings. also if the adata dies at say 280-285 and u have plenty left in the cpu, u mught want to consider something like the ocz pc3700 gold rev2. it will enable u to run 5/4 at 300 fsb at tighter timings, something like 250 at 3-3-3. only thing is the ocz stuff aint cheap but it may be the best compromise between cpu speed and memory speed... If u go with the adata please let me know how high u get.. thnx flapper

Back