• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC'ing the 2500+ -> 3200+ speeds

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DarkPurity

I'm getting a 2500+ and I'm going to crank the FSB to get her up to 3200+ speeds, but now I'm worried about cooling.

To start, I have a 430w power supply in a black case that has side and rear fans. I'm assuming the power supply in the case has forward facing intakes only (it's on order). I've got the stock fan and sink but I plan to drop in one of those fat SLK's and an 80mm fan in there.

Are either configurations going to supply sufficient cooling for this basic overclock?

The stock fan will handle 3200+ speeds, because they give them out with the 3200 as well. The reason people get slk's is so they can stay at sub 40c temps and run at 2400mhz(about 3700+ by amd scale).

With a TR SLK type heatsink and a decent fan you should be able to get AT LEAST 3200 Speeds without breaking a sweat, the 430 should be fine as long as it's not a noname brand. RAM and Stepping of the chip are other factors to worry about.

Ram comes later. My 1700+ blew out on me last week and I wasn't expecting it in this month's budget. I'm stuck reusing 2x 256mb pc2100 till I can buy a Corsair 1gb kit.

Yuriman said:
The stock fan will handle 3200+ speeds, because they give them out with the 3200 as well. The reason people get slk's is so they can stay at sub 40c temps and run at 2400mhz(about 3700+ by amd scale).

My friend bought a 2100+ and a 2800+ and the 2800+ came with a thicker (i'm assuming higher power) fan. I dont know if they still do this with the new heatsink design or not.

Actually for some reason, with stock cooling, I would random lockups and such, so I put it back to stock. Now that I have my SLK-900 lapped, I can crank it back up.

np

i got an SLK 800 with a smart fan II it pwnz 44 degrees with the fan on quiet its mad easy AS5 is better than anything and its so ez to do the 900 should pwn even more

Ya going to 3200 speeds should be fine. Just throw on some as5 to be safe. (have to lap the block 1st)

Axis is that your cat in your icon?

MuEagle05 said:
what settings will you use to OC the 2500+?

I was going to OC the FSB to 400.

That should give me 2.2ghz.

At least to start. I'll buy the SLK and some heavy-duty fans before I go any further.

Back