• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WD 80 gig booting extremely slow.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rickytheraccoon

Registered
I'm having a problem with one of my hard drives. Ok so I have 3 western digital hard drives in the computer, 2 80 gigs and 1 10 gig. The only reason I have the 10 gig in there is because without it, I cant seem to get into windows.. but that's not the big problem, the problem is when I hook up my second 80 gig to anywhere, primary slave, secondary slave, it boots up extremly slow. Here's a typical scenario:

I turn on computer, posts almost instantly. Then we have "Verifying DMI Pool Data................. Update Success" or something along those lines. Then "Boot from CD:", (Yes I put cd first in boot order, and no, nothing changes if I switch the order). There's no cd in the drive so it moves on to the hard drives. Now.. no matter how I set the jumpers on this thing it stays at this screen for about a minute and a half, without the hard drive hooked up it's about 1 second. So I'm a little confused. Anyone ever experience this?

What motherboard are you using? Some motherboards need the drive set to cable select in order to work.

The motherboard is an Abit IC7. The thing that gets me is that I have two WD 80 gig drives, and one works great but the newer one gives me slow boot-ups. I've tried the jumper in every position with no change. Right now I have the 10 gig WD as the primary master and the old 80 gig as the primary slave(with jumper in slave setting), works great. And I have the new 80 gig as secondary slave (yes on the same ide as the cd drive, but besides the bootup it works great, and even when i put it as primary slave it boots up slow.

i would try them all in the cable select jumpers just in case that board has an issue with primary and slave with more then 2 hdd's

Back