• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Accesses files on NTFS drive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DaveMode

Registered
I recently added a new hard drive which I made the master drive with a fresh install of windows. I reconfigured my old drive to be the slave drive for extra storage, etc.

After re-installing windows, i deleted the windows, program files, etc. directories since I wouldn't be needing them any more. I went to move over a folder which I had protected (only viewable with my signon) but it's denying me access. I can't boot back into the drive since I uninstalled windows on it. Is there any way I can regain access to the files for this drive? I was hoping it would've asked me for my old password or something, but it's not. Any ideas?

Actually I'm not on Linux.. I'm still on Windows. I just uninstalled Windows from my old drive before installing my new drive with a fresh windows install. Now I basically have a spare storage drive with a couple of folders on it I can't access.

What Mr.Radar means is that with that recovery cd tool he linked. It is a bootable cd with a compact install of linux on it. you can then use linux to move the files from one hd to the other and you wont have to worry about permissions or such becuase linux doesn't care.

Well, I downloaded, burnt, and booted up the Linux CD but still no go. For some reason, it's refusing to mount either of the two hard drives (saying device doesn't exist) even though that partition magic-like utility shows the drive as being there.

I'm trying to mount like this: mount /dev/hda1

Am I doing this wrong?

Back