• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Oooh, I wanna fold on this!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yeah, I read an article about that about a month or two ago. If folding would work with it, it would be a great idea if it weren't for the expense :(

Not everything is floating point, right? It'll be about $4,000 per pci card. I just find it hard to beleive that four processors that does WAY more floating point than anything in our desktops fits on a pci card and has enough bandwidth. Even if it was pci express, I would not beleive that it needed only that bandwidth.

wow, that looks to be seriously cool..and with the new PCI Express, itll work even better

Sounds like a radical design for cheapo dollars.

But for 25000, one could get what? 150 barton layers, incl. switches, cables and all. I'd go for the 150 barons then.

Cheers, Flix

ssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh keep this quiet we don't need NIK seeing that....imagine it now he'll buy like 6 pci cards for each of his farm's layers.

he'll be the single person responsible for the great blackout of the west.

^___^

scoob in hiding

It has nothing to do with its MHz speed. Measuring in flops is one way that you can actually compare AMD to Intel. I am not sure what a P4 or an Athlon XP do in flops though.

FLOPS is a rating of speed - floating point operations per second.

Looks kewl - but $25,000 was the figure for a 4-card system - so it'd be about $6,250 per card.

Don't forget, Flix, that 150 Bartons will take up a buttload of room, a buttload of power, and you could cook dinner with them... OR you could stick a PCI card in your rig, and watch WU's process every other minute :D

If I'm reading their product overview right, each chip is only 500mhz (I think). It requires 2w @200mhz, performs 10 GFLOPS per watt and performs 25.6 GFLOPS overall. I think that equal 500mhz but I've been up too long to really think about it in great detail. If that's right and they're only 500mhz each, to me that makes their FLOPS numbers that much more impressive.

Yeah thats the idea. That is if FAH has calculations that the Floating point processor is good at. Teraflops cannot be directly compared to proceesor mhz though..I mean..that would be like saying a 2ghz XP is as good as a 2ghz Intel Celeron

wow that thing is amazing, iw oudl be fun to get one just ot see how long it takes a WU. STill cool stuff but you have to wonder about PCI's bandwith like toher hvae said above

Back