Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Cooling
Cooling Discussion of fans, heatsinks, thermal pastes and putting it all together to keep your rig cool
Forum Jump

Is Glue Bad for passive Northbridge heatsink?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 01-31-04, 03:55 AM Thread Starter   #1
rdrash
Benching Team Member

Is Glue Bad for passive Northbridge heatsink?

I have a L40mm x W40mm x H10mm fan that I would like to attach to my passive North Bridge heatsink....However, my SLK 947-U on the CPU will not allow me to line up the fan with the northbridge heatsink so attaching by screws is not likely. Does anyone know if using glue is "Bad Idea" or is it ok? Or can I remove the passive heatsink and cut it down and then attach the fan? I am looking for suggestions.

[HEATWARE:
rdrash is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-31-04, 04:46 AM   #2
Ad Rock

You should use some thermal addhesive instead of glue. This way you still can transfer heat to your heatsink almost like regular thermal paste and you dont have to use any glue which might affect heat transfer. I have heard that if you mix the adhesive with regular thermal paste 50/50 you should still be able to remove the heatsink if you so desire. Another option would be to use thermal tape. Hope some of this helped .

Heatware:
Ad Rock is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-31-04, 04:51 AM Thread Starter   #3
rdrash
Benching Team Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ad Rock
You should use some thermal addhesive instead of glue. This way you still can transfer heat to your heatsink almost like regular thermal paste and you dont have to use any glue which might affect heat transfer. I have heard that if you mix the adhesive with regular thermal paste 50/50 you should still be able to remove the heatsink if you so desire. Another option would be to use thermal tape. Hope some of this helped .
Thanks for the input, What I am thinking of doing is attaching this fan to the passive heatsink somehow...I dont want to remove the heatsink, except if I have to cut it down a bit to fit the fan under the SLK947-U....If i cut the passive heatsink by about 2mm I think I can get this fan to sit on top of it, but will require some effrot to resize the screw holes on this fan...if I don't cut the passive heatsink on my northbridge then i have to find an alternative method of attaching this fan to it...so I thought glue might work, maybe it is bad idea??? How about tape? what else????

[HEATWARE:
Old 01-31-04, 04:55 AM   #4
Ad Rock

Hrmmm I am sorry man I somehow didnt see that you wanted to attach a fan, I thought you meant your heatsink (it is 3:50 a.m. ). Anyway yah I dont see a problem using glue really as long as it is a small amount.

Heatware:
Ad Rock is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-31-04, 04:57 AM Thread Starter   #5
rdrash
Benching Team Member

Thanks again Adrock...I thought you migt have mised something there...anyways...I am hoping that this additional fan could shave 1C off my heat readings.

[HEATWARE:

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Cooling
Cooling Discussion of fans, heatsinks, thermal pastes and putting it all together to keep your rig cool