• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

make a non barton a barton?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

copernicus

i remember reading somewhere that u can enable the other 256k of l2 on a non barton. is this true? and if so does some1 have a guide to do it or a link to 1. and how much of a perfomance increase would this provide? pickin up a 2500+ barton next week so i'd like to try this with my 2600+ if it's possible. thnx for any replies:)

IF you mean changing a T-bred to a Barton, no, thats not possible unless you have a fabrication plant that is ;)

The new durons have only 64 of 256k enabled... the other 192 is there, just not active... you can mod those chips for the full 256k, but the T-breds do not have any extra cache lying around to activate so 256k is it...

You can only do this if you have a Thortn core 2600+ and it must be before they started locking them too.

Check out this for detailson the 2600+ http://www.c627627.com/AMD/AthlonXP/

This to check if you have a Thorton Core:
http://www.ocforums.com/vb/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=222237
Detailed as follows:
"2600+
DKV3C [133] x 16 = 2133 MHz T-Bred B, Last letter of the code is B or
DKV3D [166] x 12.5 = 2083 MHz T-Bred B, Last letter of the code is B
except if the second letter of the code is Q -- then it's a DKV3D Thorton. or
DKV4D [166] x 11.5 = 1917 MHz Barton, Second letter of the code is Q"

If you have a Thorton, look at this to see if it's locked and therefore, will probably be able to reactivate the L2 Cache:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=244237

And here's the link discussing how to do it:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=244429&highlight=thorton

Here's hoping you got an unlocked Thorton;) ;)

Got a 2000+ Thorton @ 3200+ Barton in mine a stock voltage.

Also received another 4 to activate today :D :D

Jonty

thnx

great info. i'll pull it out mon or tue and check the stepping' i wrote it down after i put the slk on but can't find it noe lol. o well gat a 50/50 chance right now i know it's unlocked and 12.5x166 at stock. it's an older chip i got it early last year so i'm hopin:) any word on increased performance?

I have a AIXHB0329 2000+ Tbred "b". It has 256kb L2 cache, is there a way to unlock the cache to 512?

No, because it doesn't exist.

Thoroughbred B - AXDA start code, AIUGA, AIUHB, JIUHB that sort of stepping = 256K L2 cache in total, 256K available

Barton - AXDA start code, 4 for the cache size in the OPN (eg. DKV4D), 512K/512K L2

Thornton - AXDC start code, has the same stepping numbers as a Barton but has L2 bridge cut disabling 1/2 the cache - 256/512 L2. Most mods to 100% cache have been successful, and if you got an unlocked chip then the mod will work. Superlock also applies to cache as well as multipliers

Applebred Duron - M starts the stepping, but has the rest the same as a Thoroughbred i.e. MIUHB. Beware that Tbred A applebreds are floating around. Cache can be unlocked through joining the cut L2 bridge to give 256K cache as opposed to 64K

Last edited:
The sure way to recognize a thorton - they all have the the 2nd character of the stepping a "Q" - e.g. AQZFA etc. If you see a processor with such a stepping and 256k cache, that's a Thorton. And if it's made before week 39, it's probably unlocked too, thus can be modified to release the extra 256k cache. But these are pretty rare by now, you have very slim chances to find one.

As mentioned previously, if what you have is a Tbred, there's no extra cache to be unlocked, thus it's impossible no matter what you do.

Re: thnx

copernicus said:
great info. i'll pull it out mon or tue and check the stepping' i wrote it down after i put the slk on but can't find it noe lol. o well gat a 50/50 chance right now i know it's unlocked and 12.5x166 at stock. it's an older chip i got it early last year so i'm hopin:) any word on increased performance?

No need to pull it out, just run GCPUID (preferably the "Beta") in my sig, red link. It'll tell you what kind of chip you got.

Back