• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

5950 or 5900

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dropline

I was hoping to get some insight on this Video card. I am Ordering either a (BFG GeForce FX 5950 ULTRA Video Card, 256MB DDR, 256-bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP, Model "ASLM5950U" -RETAIL) From NewEgg or the same card but the 5900 for $100 less.

Is the 5950 worth the $100 extra? I love the HeatPipe and Dual fans on the 5950 being when I Game I do it for hours.

Thanks,
Drops.

Dropline

Just rub it in, will ya?

$100 is about the only thing that seperates the two.

The 5900 beats the ATI 9800 in every test the 5950 does, but cost a lot less. The 5900 OC to 5950 spects with ease, so there goes that. There is also a BIOS update that will change the 5900 to a 5950, lol!

Either way, you are getting a great card regardless!

And seeing that BFG has a true "lifetime warranty", you will also get an upgrade to the next best thing 2 years from now.:)

Now to think of it, you could sell me that card a year or so from now.:)

BTW.......If I had the money and it was no option, I would always go for the best (5950). ;)

So the cooling on the 5950 isn't that much better? I don't know if I will ever go to WaterCooling so that was the big thing I liked was the HeatPipe and Dual Fans.

I guess I could save to $100 and put that towards WaterCooling later.

Does Flashing the 5900 to a 5950 Void that Lifetime warenty also?

Sorry for all the Questions, want to order this fast and if I go 5950 I can add it to my NewEgg order that should ship on monday.

Go for the 5900 I have the bfg 5900 and it is a good card. And yes there is a BIOS update to flash to a 5950 and yes it works.

You older guy's could welcome a new member to the forum, geeez....!:D

Back on topic.:cool:

Dropline

The cooling on any 5900 card will be good!

Now the flashing thing is another issue...:rolleyes:

I believe you could always restore the original BIOS, which is saved on the same floppy as the new BIOS.

Remember tho with the 5950U you will get a better overclock. It is based off of a newer core revision. If you are not too worried about spending a lot of money, the 5950 will prollly be the better choice. If you are worried about money, go with the 5900 non-ultra and do a bios flash-it will increase the Vcore of the gpu giving u a better overclock without a vmod.

Hmm.. thanks Everclock. The size of the Overclock does matter, no matter how many times she says it don't. ;)

I really don't want to spend $380 on a Vid card but I also don't want to spend $280 either.

Leaning towards 5950 after last post.

Nope, I keep thinking about that cooler on it. I read the 5950 runs 30c at stock and can take way more temps.

So I guess yes and no.

This is the main reason I want the 5950 over 5900 as of this moment, could change my mind as ordering.

1st is this, "It is based off of a newer core revision." thanks Everclock

and this...
Look at the nice Copper based cooling on the 5950.
http://images10.newegg.com/productimage/14-143-007-04.JPG

http://images10.newegg.com/productimage/14-143-007-03.JPG

and now the 5900 looks aluminum to me.
http://images10.newegg.com/productimage/14-143-012-03.JPG

http://images10.newegg.com/productimage/14-143-012-06.JPG

Are you going on looks?

The 5950 does have a new chip, although many think it's the same as the 5700 and 5900......:rolleyes:

It seems you have made up your mind before it begin, cause there is no way a 5950 is worth $100 more than a 5900.

But if I was in your shoes (as stated before), I would get the 5950 just to say I have the best.

Here is a small review and comparison of most of the major players, with concentration placed on the 5700 ultra, 5900 ultra and 5950 ultra.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/Videocards/88/23/

The gains and the comparisons were the same back in the day, when asking was a Ti 4600 worth $100 more than the Ti 4400. The answer was no, and I feel it to be the case now.

As said, looks can be deceiving. Not only will your 5900ultra and non ultra have great cooling, but they are the ones that would generally be OC.

Well.. I am not really going for looks and still only about 90% sur e I want the 5950. The last time I bought a Top of the Line card it was the PNY-GF3-Ti510 and was about the same price as this now.

The last card I bought was a MSI-FX5600-256 nonUltra(Junk) and I really did not see too much of a difference from my GF3 card.

The GF3 is still in my Girlfriends PC we play Everquest together and being that EQ is going to DX9 and I had Issues with the GF3 and DX9 on XP.

Hmm... thats making me want the 5950 even more thinking about what you said "But if I was in your shoes (as stated before), I would get the 5950 just to say I have the best."

Hmm.. I wonder if Newegg can Add it to my Order that is shipping already Monday. I guess that would seal the deal, the 5900 isn't at NewEgg and never dealt with them before. I would feel a little more comfortable if my Mishkin 3500bh5 set had a nice video card riding along on the shipping charges.

Sorry if I ramble... I am sorta ****ed FedEx was supposed to be here hours ago with my new UPS Battery. :(

Chat, I have time.:)

I was trying to talk someone out of buying a 5200fx card, and they were wanting to spend $130 for it on top of that!

Just dont see why they even made that card, you can just about get a 5700ultra for $130..:D

In your case, get the 5950. You would not be totally happy unless you had that. A true OC would love to have the 5900, and make it do everything the 5950 can do and more. But that's for freaks and geeks, yuk!:eek:

Can't wait for you to get the 5950, post pics too...Wil' ya?

BTW....That GF3 510 still rocks in Quake, I just skipped that line (GF3) of cards. Trying to make do with this GF2GTS till I get my replacement card back from PNY (Ti 4400), I hope they put a 5700ultra in that box.:p

I am going to call NewEgg and see if they can Add it to my Order, 5950 it is.

IF they are all the same, can a 5700Ultra be flashed to a 5950? I know someone that has one already.

I hope they can Add it to the order, my new RAM is going to let me push my Overclock hopefully into the 225+(450FSB) range. That with the new Video card should make my Rig almost Benchable. :)

Just get the 5950 and be done with it. If you get the 5700 you will have wished you got the 5950 when you do any benchmarks. The 5950 willl make you happy and you want have to update your card for some time.

Dropline said:

IF they are all the same, can a 5700Ultra be flashed to a 5950? I know someone that has one already.

I did hear somewhere, that if the 5700U OC to 5900 specifications, then it could be flashed to a 5950U. Now I certainly will have to find that link, but I would be happy with the 5700U or 9800PRO. Ofcourse, I would be more happy with the 5950.:D

Let us know how it goes, laterz!

I ordered the 5950, I was asking about the 5700U for my Cousin, he has one and would be nice if he could Flash it to even a 5900u.

NewEgg wasnt Open so I going to call and see if they will ship the Video card with my RAM and AS5. :)

Hmm.. on the Artic Silver side of things, would it be a good Idea to remove the heatsink and reapply it with ArticSeiver5 or even 3?

FedEx Finally came with my Battery so I had to hook that up, they tried to talk me into Monday Delivery. I Paid $65 for SAT DELIVERY how does that add up to monday? Well I the FedEX Manager drive it over in his Car. :) 5hrs Later then the Noon Cutoff but still got it today so I guess I am happy now.

Back