• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2 problems with a new Gentoo installation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

macklin01

Computational Oncologist / Biomathematician / Mode
Hello!

I just installed gentoo on a PIII system with an 815ep motherboard. Generally, it's worked out fantastically, and I did the stage1 install. :) But, I have two small problems:

1) I have a MS Wheel Mouse Optical USB, and I can't get X to find it. What do I need to do in the XF86Config file to fix this?

2) I have a fat32 partition that I want to mount for all users so that I can easily transfer data to and from windows. However, this far, only root can access the partition. What can I do to change that? I'm a bit new to the whole fstab business. :)

Otherwise, the thing works great! Compiled with the

-march=pentium3 -mcpu=pentium3 -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -mmmx -msse -funroll-loops

etc flags, and it's quite fast! -- Paul

Last edited:
Just to follow up:

I was missing the umask info on the hdd mount. Thanks for the link.

As for the mouse, it's a bit more interesting. Apparently, I did have it configured correctly, by using /dev/usbmouse. However, some users will note that many MS keyboards have USB ports on them (including my MS Natural KB Pro). These are much more convenient for plugging in a usb mouse than the front or back of a computer. However, X won't seem to detect the mouse through the keyboard USB ports. I'm guessing that the computer treats the keyboard USB ports as a hub, and there's some additional configuration that needs to be done if I'm going to use it.

Does anybody have any experience using USB hubs in linux? Perhaps that's the way to go from there ....

(Oh, and I'll look forward to some of those links. While I do have a fairly good level of experience with linux and admin, I certainly have more to learn. I was just happy to get it to work all the way from stage 1 through the kernel install, etc. Almost tempted to recompile the kernel with the Intel compiler I installed. :))

Thanks -- Paul

Back