• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

an adsl router with a build-in swich?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

adrian nelson

- now i must warn you this is my first dealings with adsl, -
so im looking at adsl and this router has a build in swich with 4 ports, what do you all think, i know it will be nice to only buy one thing and get 2, but will it work as well?
your coments will be welcomed,
also im planing on running 2 lines for 30-40m outside, (in a something to protect them) will cat5e hack this? or should i use cat6?

Hi there. What brand of router is this? Cisco? Sounds like a nice deal having the switch built in. I assume it is an ADSL router, no?
Should work out fine, be sure to get the manual for it so you can program the thing.

As for running cable outdoors, you will need to find some outdoor rated cable, 5e or 6, and buy some pvc pipe and bury it i think, 6" under ground. I would bury it 12, but i do tend to go overkill. You will also need to ground this pipe some how, so i dont know exactly how to do that, i just know that it must be done to protect the nic's in case of static build up. The best solution would be to get fiber, as there is no path for electricity.

Another solution would be to buy a wireless gateway and tie that into your DSL router and use patch antennas to transmit the signal between the two buildings. That way you are not dealing with any wiring or the associated headaches, and get decent speeds. You can get 11mb or even use 802.11g and get faster speeds if you need.

Hope this helps, maybe someone has better ideas.

BTW, i like your avatar :) That album is one of my fav HHC albums.

You should be fine with the one you have. If you look into buying a new one, you need to be sure to check and see what type of DMT your service providers are using. I believe in NewZealand you are using G.Lite but I could be wrong. The unit you listed is G.Lite compatable as well as the 2wire one too. Myself, I use a Cisco 678, which is also compatable.

Back