• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WHOA!!! New for 89' only $8499

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

UberBlue

Completely NUTS
old comp..JPG

Bench that bad boy! I bet it'll rape an A64 rig.

My line of thought through seeing this thread

• Sees thread - thinks WTF? new computer I didn't hear about?
  • Thinks **eeK** A64 beating?
  • Sees picture
  • Understands picture
  • Spits coffee all over monitor

LoL :D

Tebore said:
WoW! VGA Graphics. CRAZY. Really, weren't VGA Graphics a rare thing back in the 386 day?

Nah. I had a 286 that had VGA graphics back in like 87 or 88. The worlds greatest first person shooter, Wolfenstein 3D, ran on a 286/386 with VGA graphics.

Wow, the overalll cost of a quality computer went down.

Actually, come to think of it, weren't we in some inflation problems in 89? Even so, if it were to have costed $6,000, WOW, imagine what six grand will get you today?

And I doubt Intel was doing a huge markup, Silicone chips etc. etc. were still fairly new, so the technology was expensive.

I had nothing to do with inflation. All new electronic go throught the "expensive" phase. Remember how much VCR's were when they first came out? CD players, DVD players, and plasma screens were spendy also.

What I really find interesting is the option of THREE different OS'es. How many do we really have now that are main stream enough to be mention in an ad.

UberBlue said:
I had nothing to do with inflation. All new electronic go throught the "expensive" phase. Remember how much VCR's were when they first came out? CD players, DVD players, and plasma screens were spendy also.

What I really find interesting is the option of THREE different OS'es. How many do we really have now that are main stream enough to be mention in an ad.
We don't have the option of all of them on one computer, but Windows, OS X, and "Linux" probably Red Hat, but only because of the recent IBM Ads. I'm more concerned with the listing of a SCO operating system, better hide that before some of our more die-hard Linux member see that thing.

Jesus. I don't remember those old computers going for that much. Guess I was too young at the time, wasn't coming out of my pockets.

Remember when my parents got their IBM/36 system for their accounting firm back in the mid 80's. Think they financed the whole thing for around 55k or so. Something like one main mini-computer, four or so nodes, and a huge printer. Think a bulk of that was the software, but crazy all the same.

Tim

tom10167 said:
Silicone chips etc. etc. were still fairly new, so the technology was expensive.
Jesus christ people... This is one of my biggest pet pieves...

its Silicon Silicon!

They dont make processors out of breast implants.

BigRed said:

Jesus christ people... This is one of my biggest pet pieves...

its Silicon Silicon!

They dont make processors out of breast implants.

Maybe they should, most of us get just as........... (cant think of a good word)........... by new silicon as we do by silicone.

5ghz extreme OC or 38DD's in my face. Hmm. I think I am really a geek becuase I think I would take the CPU.

ouch.

Remember when I bought my IBM 486DX4 66MHz upgraded to 100MHz and it costed me a fortune.

Back