• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

does anyone reccomend lapping?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hUMANbEATbOX

Contributing Member
soo, i've got the rig in my sig, just trying to get all i can outta it.

i'm prime stable at 3.45ghz, but temps get a bit high, around 53 with all my fans turned up. i'm only giving my chip 1.575v, and it reads 1.48 under full load. this leads me to believe that my chip has a bunch more headroom, if only i could drop my temps.

i've already got a 800u and a tornado, and i'm not really willing to spend any more money on air cooling. next up will be water.

but untill then....

who reccomends lapping? i've read all about it, and yea, usually it drops your temps by a few degrees. but is it worth it?

i was all gung ho till i read this last page here....http://www.overclockers.com/articles706/index10.asp

anyone with BAD lapping experieces?

nice scores and nice overclock.
i have had good experience with lapping and helped reduce my load temp considerably.

thankS!

i'm taking the plunge today, unless someone here can talk me out of it lol. got my sandpaper on the way. i'll be using 600>800>1000. that sound right?

anyone got suggestions for me? i think i got a good idea of what i'm doing.

Lapping nearly saved my my old CPU. It was running at 65-70C at load on stock. :eek:

I lapped and got it down to 50C-55C which I consider ok. But now Arch has turned me into a cooling freak wanting to get as many C drop as I can. :eek:

timdog, what did you lap? your HS? i'll be giving that a nice once over as well, but the heatspreader on a p4 is a diff story. a bit trickier. :eek:

Back