• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

got some money to spend

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Buddha1822

I just got a few extra bucks from various circumstances that I wanna spend on "upgrading" or maybe at least increasing performance of my current comp... My main issue that I wanna deal with (and is most accessible with the budget now) is my storage... Not only do I lack open harddrive space, but have a few problems that slowly increase with time that I believe are harddrive/storage related... So I am asking, what suggestions can you provide to me for $120 to upgrade amounts, performance, anything of that nature on my comp...

As of now I got a WD 80GB 8mb cache and a WD 120GB 8mb cache. The 120 is the master and the 80 is the slave on the IDE cable... The 120 is divided into 3 partitions, a ~80gb for music, a ~37 for "programs," and a ~10 for the Win XP install... The 80 itself is not partition at all and is its complete drive...

Suggestions pls? :)

yar but I donno... that's just too much... I'd rather expand or improve the performance, not exactly just throw a bigger HD in there... i was hoping for some better suggestions then that... it's obvious that I could do that but i mean... come on... meh

lol, sorry for the lack of creativity, since this post is in storage, i kinda just assumed u wanted more space. is that the system in ur sig u wanna upgrade?

shadymg said:
lol, sorry for the lack of creativity, since this post is in storage, i kinda just assumed u wanted more space. is that the system in ur sig u wanna upgrade?

heh no worries :p and yeh sys in sig is what I am upgrading

disk11 said:
Buy a Raptor and use it as your primary drive. Or buy 2 and stripe them.

whoa... the raptor's are very good but... that's a little too high priced for only 36.7GB ($120 for just that) or 74GB for $260 :(
i know I said upgrade performance... but that is just a lil too much... Unless you know somewhere to get one of these Raptors for VERY CHEAP? ;)

Last edited:
Yeah, Raptors are pretty expensive, but take a look at similar SCSI drives.

The only other storage upgrade I can see is to buy another 800JB and stripe it with your other one for a boot drive and use the 1200JB as a backup.

Otherwise I'd look into a better video card. Your system looks pretty beastly in every other aspect.

$120 is just not enough for doing anything big on your system.

Maybe a better sound card?(Audigy 2) Or speakers?

You won't feel anything with the insensitive human feeling with hard disk upgrade unless you go for SCSI which is out of your budget range.

You have decent CPU power, and decent RAM. If you can spare $240, get a OEM Radeon 9800PRO. It will be a big upgrade. Well it's out of your current budget too.

unreal said:
yeah,, if anything, a faster processor

Well he already has an Athlon running at 2.3GHZ. If upgrade, no less than a Athlon 64 overclock at 2.3GHZ+. Otherwise it won't worth the trouble. His budget is only $120, which won't allow him to do so.

Back