• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

honda_man

I need to get more ram and am not sure what type to get. I am runnig an AOpen motherboard, Intel Celeron 1.7 GHz processor. 512 MB Ram. 80 MB HDD with 2nd 40MB HDD installed. Other than that, no other modifications have been made however, I have a Thermalright CPU cooler model SP-94 and rounded cables on their way. I currently run at 118 degrees F at 100 percent and 82 degrees F at idle. Will more ram make me overclockable or would I just be wasting my money?

oc has nothing to do with ammount of ram but quality of ram and the cooling of your processor, and the quality and adjustability of your motherboard...what kind of mother board do you have? what kind of cooling do you have? what are your mobo temps? what kind of ram do you have? pc2100/133 pc2700/333 pc3200? is this a mainstream computer? dell/gateway/hp...etc? do you care that all warrenties are voided if you overclock? are you willing to mess up something(burn cpu, ram, vidcard, etc?)? if you aren't willing to void warrenties and mess something up(happens 1/10000th of the time but it could be you?) and arent willing to pay money for cooling or better ram then ocing isn't for you...after you find out your motherboard, and ram...tell me if you know how to reach bios? and if so if you have fsb adjustments avaliable

To answer AFlsoldier, I have a AOpen AX4B-533 motherbaord ad standard pentium cooling. I do however have an Thermalright CPU cooler, model SP-94 enroute to me. PC 2100/133 Ram. This is not a mainstream computer. I have one and that is why I have this, no capablities with an HP. I have no warranties on this and yes, I am prepared to burn something up!!!! I am willing to spend money in order to make this a livable computer unlike my HP that my wife uses!!! I am already getting better cooling and rounded cables that I should have gone with in the first place but i am also going to be getting a real sound card and video card. Currently i am using the onboard items. I am not superly happy with intel and once I have this one stable enough for my wife to use for business I WILL be building an AMD system!!! However this is my first built computer and am drastically learning. Thanks.

Not to start a war, but intel is pretty darn good. (I like amd too, they both have good and bad qualities)
The problem is with your ram, you need faster ram, but the biggest problem is that you have a celeron processor, quite frankly celerons are trash compared to P4's and Amd XP's, so I see why you are disappointed in intel, but dont let that trashy celeron stop you buying from intel, intel is just as good of brand as amd is.

Want a faster pc? Upgrade ram and processor, you will have to upgrade your motherboard also to use faster ram, unfortunately.

I wouldnt throw intel out the door, unless you are on a really tight budget.

Honda_Man is a friend of mine, let me explain a few things here. He wants to go AMD because he is interested in using his PC mainly for gaming, and from most of the benchmarks that I've seen, the newer AMD chips outdo their counterpart P4's. Also, for any of the modern games 512Mb of DDR is just barely scraping the bottom of the barrel when it comes to performance. BF42, SWG, and several others can be very RAM intensive, and since he is planning on buying a top-end video card sometime in the future, the RAM would be his bottleneck. I've told him about getting some faster stuff, like PC3200 or PC3500 but outright replacing the RAM he has right now isn't in his budget.

AFIsoldier said:
also, 512mb of ram should be enough, why do you think you need more? what symptoms s your computer causing to make you think you need more ram?

Ohm... My computer has 1024MB of ram, and i tried just yesterday with one module... dude, generals was just horrible ;)
to be honest, i think i will not have less than a gb, althought this d be better to OC. and cheaper, of course...

Back