• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with Hub or switch.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

harryinny3

Ive been reading, and i figure the fastest way to get my answer, Because i need it today is just ask.

I Have a cable modem with one IP adress. Im going to have the Cable company assign me a second IP addy. I want to connect my sons computer to this modem useing the second IP adress.

Will A Hub or 5 port switch do the trick? I dont want a router, because I can never get the ports to foreward correctly when ever i have tried one. We will both be useing zonealarm so firewall wont be a problem. The reason im trying to get out of this the cheapest is to Bassically Get him online to play CoD and not tie up the phone line.

What will i need? I Have built in Intel Pro on my rig, And his has Built in NIC also.

So will Just a hub or switch be enough? Do i need a second NIC card in my rig? And how bad is setup?

Thanks for any help, I have to get this done as soon as possible.

Harry

well if you are using a single cable modem, you could use either a switch or hub and it should work fine for what you are doing. the ideal situation would be to have a second cable modem. i am not sure if that is what you are doing or not, but that would be "best". but if you don't have one, just hooking up both computers to a switch or hub with the cable modem connected to the switch or hub, it should work fine. just set dhcp to automatic (obtain ip addresss automatically) and the computers should be auto-assigned ip addresses from the isp.

Very cool

Thanks.

I was going to go the wireless route, But as i said, I couldnt figure out the port forewarding deal in the router. Also I dont even know what port online gameing uses. I even tried to foreward a port for voice chat with MSN messenger, and it still wouldnt work. Its only $9.95 more a month for the wireless, But dang if i know how to foreward the dang port.

Id rather do the wireless rout, But that port forewarding deal really stressed me out.

Harry

basically alls i need is the port CoD uses

and maybe ill try the wireless again. Port forewarding is a pain, I gave the wireless back to cable company when i couldnt get into my nascar racing game online and connect to ANY servers. Man im bummed, I need the 2 broadband connections, because the wife said We cant use her dialup for my kid to play online with me. Grrrrrrr.

Harry

Re: basically alls i need is the port CoD uses

harryinny3 said:
and maybe ill try the wireless again. Port forewarding is a pain, I gave the wireless back to cable company when i couldnt get into my nascar racing game online and connect to ANY servers. Man im bummed, I need the 2 broadband connections, because the wife said We cant use her dialup for my kid to play online with me. Grrrrrrr.

Harry

well i don't have to forward a port for call of duty with mine, but i do know that some people did have trouble with it and you can try to forward port 28960 with tcp and udp.

check out this: https://activision.custhelp.com/cgi...p_new_search=1&p_search_type=3&p_sort_by=dflt

it is a faq from activision about call of duty and i just searched for "port" and it came up with all of the that... if that stuff doesn't work, then try something else listed there and see if that helps. it's worth a try. there is also a link to how you should go about setting up 2 computer to play cod behind a single firewall...

Back