• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NF7-s: help bios settings for raid0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jlin453

Currently, I'm getting an ATTO write score of 35k and read score of 85k. I have two Maxtor 80gb 8mb cache drives. I've actually had this problem for awhile but never tried to fix it because didn't know what was wrong.

So now I'm asking what relevant bios options I should set to improve the write speed. I'm thinking of recreating the array (reinstalling programs suck :( )

btw, I've tried 32 and 64 for the stripe size.

I use 16k\16k ... Im somewhat new to raid myself but from what i have read that usually gives the best benchies.. and the higher the setting is usually better if you move large files around alot..

Thunda

jlin:

I'm curious, what Window SIL Raid drivers are you using? The new 1.0.0.40? Maybe the older 1.0.0.281? The reason I ask is that from what I've read recently (new insights over at the Abit USA forums), the 1.0.0.281 drivers give ridiculously low Write Speeds for Raid-0 Arrays, but Read speeds remain unaffected. The reason it has come up is a bit different than yours, as it seems the 1.0.0.281 drivers are the only drivers that don't give SATA corruption with the d10 bioses. However, noted is the fact that these drivers, the only ones that don't give sata corruption, give really low Raid-0 Write scores. You can see that link here: http://forum.abit-usa.com/showthread.php?threadid=39011

If you are using the 1.0.0.281's, especially if you're not using the d10 bios, you might as well upgrade to the 1.0.0.40s (you can download them from windowsupdate) and see if that solves your problem, before doing anything drastic like re-creating the array.

I honestly gave up on the raid idea. Had it for 6 months and honestly didnt see any improvements. Now mind you I don't do video editting or anything; just basic PS, games, etc. With my raid0, I got 38/80k atto scores (write/read). Right now on my diamondmax9 maxtor hdd, I'm getting 49/49. As of now, I'd rather stick with nonraid configurations. Besides, I was having heat problems with the two drives in raid.

jlin453 said:
Currently, I'm getting an ATTO write score of 35k and read score of 85k. I have two Maxtor 80gb 8mb cache drives. I've actually had this problem for awhile but never tried to fix it because didn't know what was wrong.

So now I'm asking what relevant bios options I should set to improve the write speed. I'm thinking of recreating the array (reinstalling programs suck :( )

btw, I've tried 32 and 64 for the stripe size.

Did you run regular ide on the board before raid0 how much of an improment is there. I have read the same as 20fsb or 200mhz cpu speed is what it = to about.

Just for fun =) I installed the 1.0.0.281 drivers (as I was doing some testing with the d10 modded bioses). They do indeed screw up your atto score wholly. I get around 110,000/114,000 Write/Read in ATTO. (I tested them with the 1.0.0.40's right before I installed the 281's as a control). With the 281's, I got 16,000/114,000 Write/Read!! I ran the test a few times to be sure!

It's too bad you already broke up your array.... If you ever do try it again, make sure you have 1.0.0.40's and see if that fixes your problem.

BTW, just for more reference, I am at 16k stripe, 4k (Default) cluster.

Back