• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

chipset fan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
it cant hurt.....you might as well. If you want something cheap but works good go w/ a zalman passive.

if i were you jsut hold your finger on it for a minuit. if you can keep it on there for 60 seconds without getting hurt (while this is running a game or something, be careful not to breakj anything/ ESD stuff) then its not really getting hot enough to need one. granted your finger is cooling to some effect, but burning flesh is a good indicator you need some cooling. (tis how i decided i need SB cooling)

On the Intel 865/875 chipset, the general rule was if you o/c past 1000mhz fsb, you should go with some sort of active cooling on your northbridge. I hotglued a 40mm fan on my nb hs and it's fairly cool to the touch now.

-Bobby

Why not? any extra cooling helps, especially if your oc'n besides cooler = longer life. I just put a fan on mine, was able to mod a old p1 fan I had laying around. All I had to do was elongate the mounting holes in the fan a little. :)

It doesn't take a lot of airflow for a fan to cool something much better than passively. Any old fan should do it you can fit it on.

I'd think that active cooling on an 875 is a GOOD idea.

Back