• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

zone alarm replacement?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

captain_sHiFTy

i'm currently using Zone Alarm Pro as my internet firewall, and i find it just about the most annoying program out there. It slows down my computer, my internet connection, it messes up programs, it wont allow certain sites, or certain pictures to load (it thinks they re ads i think, but all the ads seem to get through and its just pics it blocks).

i want to find another internet firewall that has good inbound security, but also at least adequate outbound security (used to have blackice = no outbound security what so ever).

anybody have any ideas?

or any ideas on how to make zonealarm stop being such a b***y program?

I think ZoneAlarm is a great personal firewall. There is a bit of setting up time but after that, it works well. I've been using it for almost 2 yrs now.

Which version of ZA do you use? You can download the free version and it has basic firewall functions and none of the bs fluff (cookie blocking, ad blocking, e-mail filters, etc). In ZA Pro, you can go into the options and turn all that stuff off too.

-Bobby

Try "Sygate" HERE .

Been using Sygates "Personal Firewall Pro" for about 2 years now and luv it . Its a "tad" harder/differant to use then ZoneAlarm but is basicly very easy to use . Sygate also has a VERY cool backtrace program that gives you full info on any person trying to hack you . I back traced a guy that was port scanning me ALOT while playing Half-life and got his full : name/address/country/phone number/e-mail address/ISP provider ; sent him a couple of nasty e-mails saying to "knock-off" the hacking crap and that I would report him to his ISP provider with all the info I had on him . Sent the e-mail WITH all the personal info I had on him to prove I was not kidding ..... a day later NO more portal attacks from the @SS , and he was located in Spain (lol) .

There is a FREE version of Sygate "Sygate Personal Firewall" (less options than Pro ver) HERE or there is 30 day trial of the PRO version HERE .

Give it a try , I really think you'll like it .

My .02 ;) :D

Last edited:
I used sygate for about 3 years, just switched to zone alarm this week. WAY less features but so far I am getting faster internet connections.

Zone Alarm isn't as goood as ppl IMO.

Syage is pretty good but I found it does slow down your internet connecction somewhat.

Outpost Firewall is pretty good but the free version has some bugs such that it may use 100% of your CPU process. Outpost Firewall 2 (the not free version) is really good though, I'm currently using it. :)

what your problem is you dont kno how to use the zone alarm...zone alarm is the best firewall around....better than blackice firewall......there are options you can set so it wont do those annoying things but hey thats my opinion..a damn good one 2...

Sophisticated said:
what your problem is you dont kno how to use the zone alarm...zone alarm is the best firewall around....better than blackice firewall......there are options you can set so it wont do those annoying things but hey thats my opinion..a damn good one 2...

Pretty sure I know how to set up zone alarm. ;)

Back