• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

which graphics card is best

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

geeman74

looking at the radion 9800 xt and the xfx geforce fx 5950 ultra
or should i get a different one
thanx

Lemme save you some money, you don't need a 256MB gfx card, but the time you need to buy one these cards will be useless inthe games that need 256MB, and you will need to upgrade to pci express. So get a 128MB Radeon 9800 XT. and overclock it and you'll be good for atleast a year "if you liek to play new games"

Well, i'd say if you want a new top end card, DO go for a 256mb card. I hear HL 2 and Doom 3 will utilise the extra memory.

Even 2 months ago when I booted up Max Payne 2 for the first time and set everything to high, it told me I didn't have enough video memory and recommended I downgrade my settings, but I just ploughed on...
Bit of a kick in the pants after spending €525 only 6 months ago...

If you have the money, go 256mb. Oh, and I'd say the xt, goes i'm ATI all the way. :D
;)

Ok, my mistake.
But my point was that if Max Payne 2 slows down, and could do with the extra video memory, some games to be released in the future will be bound to utilise the 256mb.

thanks still gotta decide before i go in dept lo
l both cards are 256 so shouldnt have problems with new games ive gotta fx 5200 (256 version ) at the mo dont have problems with it get good scores on benchmark tests but want more fps so decided a new card :D

If you ask which card is the best, then it's Radeon 9800XT.

If you ask which card to get, then I would say a Radeon 9800PRO.

There is no need to use examples of HL2 or Doom3. Since they aren't out yet. We can take care of everything after they are out.

9800XT is only around 5% better than 9800Pro at stock speed. And you can get a Pro for ONLY $240 at newegg.com. I got mine for around $400 last spring. Now it's ONLY $240!!! Everyone who has lower card should grab one! 9800XT's extra 5% performance doesn't worth the extra $200. In most cases, the core of 9800Pro can be overclocked to be higher than 9800XT at stock speed.

I wonder when R420 will be out. Does anyone have a release scheduel from ATI? I really need something better. I was almost depressed watching everyone is catching up my benchmark scores lol. In fact, everyone is grabbing 9800Pro lol. I need R420 to make a big jump in my scores to overpower most others once again. :p

It all depends on who you ask.
Right now one card will outperform the other in certain applications.
Speculating on which card will play better on games that are not even released yet is just that...speculation.
If I had to choose between the two at this point in time I would choose the 9800XT.

sLk said:
If I had to choose between the two at this point in time I would choose the 9800XT.

Well if it was a few months back, 9800XT should be the choice because 9800Pro was only a little cheaper.
At this time, price of 9800Pro dropped so much while 9800XT stay the same. You can grab a 9800Pro for only $240, while 9800XT is almost $200 more for only 5% extra performance. It's just dumb to do so.

I am not sure when R420 will be out, but I have a feeling the time is near. Before it happens, 9800XT's price will be cut in large percentage to make room for it. It's just a dumb choice to buy 9800XT at this time.

Back