• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Search Engines - SEO and Google

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

markodude

Hi people
I have been running our website for about a year now, and am starting to think about SEO. Our current rankings in Google perplex me. My website is www.groveindependentschool.co.uk and we are an independent school based in Milton Keynes.

ATM on google the page that is showing up is my flash detection page, index.htm, usually not seen by anyone as its fairly quick at forwarding to the next page.

The annoying thing is that all this page has is a title, no meta tags whatsoever, for some reason I missed them by accident. The other pages have keywords and descriptions optimised towards my search criteria, but they dont even show on google.

With the detection page I am number 1 on google.com for
Independent Schools Milton Keynes
Independent School Milton Keynes
Number 3 on .com but number 1 on .co.uk for
Grove Independent School

I want to be number 1 (at least on .co.uk for
Independent School (may be hard)
Grove Independent School (although 3rd isnt bad)
Private School (may be hard)
Private School Bucks
Private School Milton Keynes
Milton Keynes School / School Milton Keynes

Basically I am afriad to change the flash detection page as it is already up there in the rankings, but a few adjustments to it may be necessary. For the rest of the pages I really need to find out why they are not showing up at all, something to do with frames? Even my frameset.htm does not seem to show up...

TIA for any help :D
Marko

googles ranking algorithms for their search engine is very private so nobody really knows how it really works. There is one thing that I have noticed, however. If your web site name contains the keywords you want to hit with, then you will likely be higher in the rankings. For example, my girlfriend is an illustrator for childrens story books. The main character in the books is King Joe. They just happened to name their site kingjoe.com so king joe gets teh first hit in google.

So try this: have several extra web pages that simply redirect you to the main web page. If you want to get a hit from "private school," try making a redirect page at http://privateschool.groveindependantschool.co.uk and see if that helps. On that redirect page, put in lots of other keywords that may help and put them in over and over again along with links to all of your other redirect pages and links to your main page.

Additionally, try purchasing several more domain names such as groveschool.co.uk and mygroveindependantschool.com and privateschoolgrove.com. Do the same redirection tactics there so they all take you to the same page and all contain tons of proper keywords and links to all the other pages. If you have several domain names with several subdomains that all link to eachother and all have tons of listings of the words you are looking for, the sites will form a tight search cluster that will keep hitting eachother when performing the search and result in getting significantly higher rankings on google.

And if you still can't get a high enough ranking on google for certain searches, you can always pay them for the rankings.

Nice one Krusty - some good ideas in there. We have the groveschool.co.uk but I never thought about subdomains and redirections. Definetely worth a try as it means I dont have to change the current page which is already doing OK.
Ty for the help :)

Back