• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bad idea to put hub in attic?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RingWraith2086

I have two comptuers that I'm going to network so that I can print to the printer in the living room from the computer in my room. I'm gonna put a hub in between them, but I'm not sure where yet. Is it a bad idea to put it in the attic, where it's hot all the time?

And also, what's a good 4-port hub that I can get to hook them up. I'm in CiscoII at my school so I know most of the technical information and things like that, but I've never really had any real world experience. Good brands, bad brands, etc. Thanks.

Also check the working humidity... it might be overly dry or overly wet up there, but other than that, no problems.

I would place it somewhere you can get to very easily... it is very hard to troubleshoot network problems if you have to run from one room to the attic, then down to another room and back again.

A hub is a hub is a hub. They all do the same thing. I would consider getting a switch instead, they are far more superrior (and usually less costly.)

I thought about getting a switch, but I really didn't see the need to separate traffic on the network since there's only going to be two computers with no plans to expand or share internet access or anything besides printer sharing. And I thought they were more expensive. Unless by less costly you mean all the capabilities that they have over hubs.

You can get a switch for so cheap these days, its recommended to do so just in case you decide to expand in the future. Hubs are very inefficient for this type of use.

An alternative could be to run a crossover cable, if there really are no plans for expandability.

Back