• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lapping reqired grits?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

InvisGreenMan

I decided to lap my SP-94 after putting a small scrape in the base last time I removed it.

I found only 400, 600 and 1500 grit. Will these do the trick or do I *need* to find some 800-1000 grit?

thanks

Also, I am planning on installing the Zalman ZM80C-HP on my 9600XT. Should I lap the base before installing or does it not make that big of a difference with video cards?

thanks

I was just wondering if it will make a negative difference when I make that big of a jump in grits or if it will be fine.

thanks for the reply

I would check it with 800 grit .Then see how far off it is.If you start to rough and it doesn't need much lapping,you'll spend alot of extra time.THE FANMAN:cool:

That's the problem, the stores around here only have 400,600 and 1500.

So start with the 600 or should I have someone order some 800 in for me?

thanks

You can jump from 600 to 1,500.
heck, if you wanted you could go from 100 to 2,000.

That would be kind of silly though as it would take a whole
lot longer to remove the scratches from the previous grit.
That's why it's best to use all the grits you can find.

Best of luck 2 U. :)

Use the 600 for a bit then just spend a LONG TIME polishing it up with the 1500! If you spend the extra time with the 1500 you will get a smoother surface than if you had used a 1000 (although hardly noticeable diff!)

Ok, thanks for the replies. I plan on doing it tonight. I have about two hours set aside for it...hope that's enought time to do the quality job I want.

ProBoner said:
> > >
If you spend the extra time with the 1500 you will get a smoother surface than if you had used a 1000 (although hardly noticeable diff!)

Sorry, but that makes no sense. ;)

If you get results like that it's likely you aren't completely
removing ALL the scratches from the previous grit.
Either that or there is some particles from the previous grit
remaining.
Clean, clean and clean again. :)

Whew! taking a break after 400 grit for 1.25 hours. I had a couple machining marks that would just not go away. Next up is the daunting 600 grit. haha

Actually I've heard here that going over 600 doesn't do that much more...mostly just gives you that nice shine.

I'd tend to believe that too just cause at that point I'm sure the curve that the heat expansion from lapping introduces will be a bigger factor.

But I don't know for sure might help. I don't think I have the patientce to go to 1200....

I went to 1500 grit this time. I might go higher just to please the eye, but I think you are right about higher than 600 or 800.

Back