• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does my L5 mod go bad over a period time of use?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MameXP

Hi everyone,

I'm currently running 1800+@stock w/ L5 mod on Asus A7M266-D. It has been running great, and rock solid on Windows XP SP1 (my school is giving them for free :p).

This afternoon, when i decide to install Gentoo on my system. I've been a Gentoo user for sometime and feel very comfortable about the installation. I booted SMP kernel from the liveCD. It hanged :(. I got it pass the CPU detection then it hanged. It did detect 2 CPU at 1.53ghz.

So then i booted non-SMP kernel after several times of trying SMP kernel. It booted fine, my LiveCD is 1.4 athlonXP version (2 CDs).

So hmmm i wondered why, and start to dig for the cause. I checked the bios make sure it sets the CPU speed at default. Then reboot, carefully looked at the boot screen, and:

CPU1: Athlon 1800+ XP
CPU2: *Athlon 1800+ XP

Yes thats what it showed me, i started to see why there is a "*" there. (Correct me but i cant recall if thats the way it should be, i wasnt paying any attention since the L5_mod was done) . So i "think" the Mod doesnt work now :eek:. I went to the bios again, check the CPU speed to "Manually" and make sure FSB runs at 133mhz (1.53ghz for the CPUs). Rebooted again, and:

CPU1: Athlon 1800+ MP
CPU2: *Athlon 1800+ MP

This time it showed "MP" :p, and there was still a "*" there.

I let it booted to WinXP, i checked the TaskManagement. It did show 2 CPUs usage bars. Hmmm... However the weird thing was that, the usage seemed to be at the same level :confused: . I'm sorry if that sounded stupid but i really didnt pay attention when i was using it b4 (Well i dont have much time, CS assignments keeps me real busy).

I went to check on WCPUID, it showed "XP" but there're "Processor1" and Processor2".

So, my questions are : Does this mean the L5mod has gone bad? or Does it mean my board has recognized only 1 CPU? I think probably last time when i mounted the HSFs, i cleaned the CPUs with too much alcohol .

Any inputs are very much appreciated. I'm very sorry for such a long post, but i want to describe my problem as clear as i cant.

Thanks in advance
MameXP
PS. the LiveCDs are fine. I used it to install Gentoo on a Quad Xeons system (Dell Poweredge)

Last edited:
Back