• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

256 to 128

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hmooblis

Registered
i recently bought a stick of 256 ram and installed it. first thing i check was the BIOS and it also read 256 then same in computer. a week later(now) and the same stick reads as 128 in bios and computer. what can i do? any programs to identify?

i also checked the stick and it reads as 256 on label.

It can be a malfunction of the mem module too, it seems which only one side is working reporting half the size, so try to reseat the module, or consider RMA.

Adriano

thanks for the help. in cpu-z it says that i have a total of 608 and it does read that i have a 256 along with my 512. but why are the numbers so low 512+256=768 right?

can someone tell me how to post pix of desktop(cpu-z) images

That's strage, coz even if supposing only 128Mb of the 256Mb mem module works, the total amount must be equal to 640Mb (512+128) instead of 608Mb, but probably you are using a video card on board of your Mobo with a shared memory of 32Mb, so the total amount will be absolutly right.

To Post a pic of CpuZ into the Forum, you have to press the Stamp button present on your keyboard when lookin that program, paste the image into a program as Paint or similar, and save the image as .JPG, so when posting a msg in here, press the IMG button, browse your local Disk C, and select the desidered image file.

Hope it helps you,
Adriano

ive been told that you cant use different types of memory like that it has to be 1 x 512 or 2 x 512 or 1 x 128 or 2 x 128 and so on....if you want to use smaller modules like 128 to make 512 you can use all 4 slots...so see they have to be single or matched pairs and also matched sizes or else you goin to get some pretty ...excuse me for my language...pretty ****ed up performance

Back