• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

too many cpu fans to choose, please help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Evil T C

as i havent built the system yet this aint urgent but any help will be appretiated. i have choosen nearly everything that i need/want but the question of which cpu fan(for a P4) to go for still plagues me.....

are blower fans as effective as they look? or are they just another nice looking gimmic?

throw me a couple of recomendations please you lot, cos experience counts for a hell of a lot more than any reviews in a mag, and i cant afford to be making worthless purchases.

if it helps,,,, iv got a thermaltake lanfire case, and will be using an Abit IC7 max3 with a P4 2.8c

I like Panaflo fans (the "L" versions) - good cfm at relatively low noise levels. You can also buy an adjustable speed fan so you can tailor the performance vs. noise to your taste.

i aint bothered bout the noise, could sound like a lawnmower as long as it keeps the cpu nice and cool.:p

oh and if i'm not asking too much could you please add in a link so i can see your recommendations? ta

yeah, if u really dont care about noise, the tornado is the best option, i have read some reviews that sed the 80mm and 92mm have almost no difference becuase of the higher static-pressure on the 80mm version, and the smaller deadspot

if u made a duct with instructions HERE u should get really good temps

right, so the tornado is a case fan.... does that create any problems with mounting onto the cpu? and i assume that i'll have to buy a heatsink or will the standard heatsink that comes with the P4 do?

this is my first build so i know nothin bout it :)

i had been thinking bout a thermaltake volcano unit, with the ducting mod that has just been brought to my attention, are they any good?

thanks for your patience/willingness to help out a newbie

ok then.....going from your recommendations(thanks all of you) the SP 94 HS with the thermaltake ducting mod(i know i could make my own but it has its own advantages) with the 80mm tornado should give an excellent cooling package?

will there be any mounting problems on the Abit IC7 max-3 or between the three components?

also will i need to lapp the heatsink? i should hope for £43 that it would be well enough engineered not to bother.

Back