• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Testing Mushkin Black lvl 2 Questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jambaa

Registered
Hi guys/gals, looking for some experienced feedback regarding Muskin BLII performance expectations. I got a 512X2 PC3500 pack from newegg almost 2 weeks ago and I'm currently testing the OC on my system (2.4C, AI7).
Settings are currently 2-2-2-5, Auto, Auto, Auto, Disabled, Disabled, running 1:1, NB Strap 800. Using these settings, what FSB/Voltage would be considered unacceptable to the manufacturer (anything less than 218 FSB)? What would be reasonable and what would be good?

Problem is I can't get the sticks to run dual channel memtest stable at the settings above at 215 FSB with any voltage.

Testing the sticks individually,
Stick one is memtest stable for an hour so far at 240 FSB with above settings 3.2v

Stick two is memtest unstable at 230FSB 3.2v.

Thanks!

Unacceptable would be any voltage that would burn out the memory :)

vDIMM is a touchy subject, with, seemingly, any voltage between 2.8V and 3.3V++ being too high, depending on who you talk to ;)

If your using it 24/7, try to use the lowest voltage (around 3V; +/- .2V) that allows you to keep up a stable overclock to your liking.

Mushkin doesn't like when users tell them that they put 3V+ into their memory. But Policemen don't like it when you tell them that you drive 55MPH in a 45MPH zone.

Mushkin says not to put more then ~2.9V into their memory. But some motherboards read ~3.05V when set to 2.9V in bios. So it's a touch-and-go subject what they like.

Try switching up DIMM slots to see if you can get better performance with them.

Thanks for the tip. I'm just at 3.2 for now to maximize the potential of the chips. However, if either of the chips or the pair in combo aren't stable at 2,2,2,5 at 217FSB at 2.8V in any slot, then would I be correct in saying that they did not meet the manufacturer's specifications, especially since they are a dual pack? Also, just to clarify, the most stressful memtest are tests 5 and 8 to save some time? Thanks.

I wouldn't RMA Mushkin BL2 memory for any reason other then if they were complete duds.

Test #5 focus' more on trying to draw out memory errors, while the others are more general overall stability (CPU/Chipset, ect.) tests. Test #8 is an extended version (and therefore more stressful) of Test #5.

Speed_Mechanic2 said:
I wouldn't RMA Mushkin BL2 memory for any reason other then if they were complete duds.

Thanks for the clarification on the MEMtests. I'm just trying to get a feel as to what defines a 'complete dud'. Would you consider the scenarios I posted above as duds or just non-working RAM?

Jambaa said:

Thanks for the clarification on the MEMtests. I'm just trying to get a feel as to what defines a 'complete dud'. Would you consider the scenarios I posted above as duds or just non-working RAM?

Duds are something that won't post above 200MHz w/ any timing or any voltage.

Back