• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Doom3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stabber

I read it would be able to run on a 1gig machine fairly well (developer said that during interview with IGN). They mentioned something about newer technology making this possible? How can a 1gig machine run a game like Doom3? Am I the only one that thinks this is nuts??

a 1 gig machine with a 9700 pro or better no problem. You won't be able to crank up the resolution but it will be playable. MOst games depend much more on the video card then on the procesor.

You cant take advantage of that 9700pro if your processor cant calculate where the shadows are supposed to go.

DKarn said:
make sure you got a good math coprocessor

Guess my 486SX25 is out then:(

Time to upgrade to the 486DX66 I guess. Maybe I should go balls out and get a Pentium 60mhz.

<shrug>

Last edited:
LOL yeah i felt like you all did after reading that post. I think though that mr carcmak made the engine run off the GPU as much as possible and tha ti show a 1ghz proc can run teh ame so well.

The shadow calculations are going to be calculated at the GPU in the newest video hardware. The CPU will be used for physics, enemy AI, skeletal animation, input and network code.

Depending on how elegant you could make the code and how well you could optimize under SSE/SSE2/3DNow!/etc, you could probably get all that squeezed into a 1ghz processor.

All speculation at this time in my opinion, we wont know for sure how it runs until it is actually released. What they call "fairly well" is probably 640*480 with low detail which is what we call playable. Games are getting more GPU intensive but you can bet your last penny it will run a hell of a lot smoother with more than 1Ghz of processing power.

A game like Doom3 is one which is crying to be played in all its glory with all the bells and whistles!

-Chris

Back