• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

prescot=price drop on Northwood?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
considering that Prescott's are being called the equal of the Northy I doubit Intel would drop em more than a few $$$

Check out Newegg, they just dropped the prices again right before the Prescott's came out (even though they don't have any). The 3.2C is now only about $280

Can anyone inform me of when the Prescott's will hit the shelves, and how much we can expect to pay for them? I am thinking about going to intel for my next rig, but I want to do more reaserch on the expected performance of the Prescotts.

What is a good review site for CPU's anyway; I used to go to tomshardware, but I heard some people bad mouth him. So anyone got any other suggestions? Thanks

dreIU said:
Can anyone inform me of when the Prescott's will hit the shelves, and how much we can expect to pay for them? I am thinking about going to intel for my next rig, but I want to do more reaserch on the expected performance of the Prescotts.

What is a good review site for CPU's anyway; I used to go to tomshardware, but I heard some people bad mouth him. So anyone got any other suggestions? Thanks

A few places (Azzo and Monarch Computer) have already stocked them, but anwhere that had have sold out for the most part.

As for performance, the Northwood is better in most apps; the cache advantage for the Prescott is usually not even enough to make up for its longer pipeline. The Northwood also cools better, and we already know what motherboards are able to handle a Northie - all of them!

For reviews, I prefer [H]ardOCP's no-BS approach for the most part, and XBit Labs is a pretty good one, too. Oh, and Lost Circuits... very thorough and methodical.

Arkangyl said:
considering that Prescott's are being called the equal of the Northy I doubit Intel would drop em more than a few $$$

Think I read it at Anands, but I can't remeber. Intel won't be dropping prices, but retailers will probably lower NW prices lower then Prescotts because there is going to be a higher demand for the newer, bigger cache chips. So there may be another price drop coming.

Then again I think the few Prescotts that are being sold are already a bit higher then NWs of the same speed on those sites, so there maybe no need for retailers to drop the price.

Either way I'd wait a week or so before ordering a NW. Or just wait a month or so for the next Prescott stepping. 4 ghz on air is so close I can taste it:drool:

Glaive said:
Check out Newegg, they just dropped the prices again right before the Prescott's came out (even though they don't have any). The 3.2C is now only about $280

WELCOME TO THE FORA!

Also I might add to check out price watch. Also, make sure you check the reseller rating before buying becuase some of those companies do not exist ;)

Also, is this relating to any type of CPU other then Intel? Why are we posting in the generalized CPU section and not Intel?

Let's post in correct category next time. Don't worry, no big deal, just a common problem we have here. At first I did it sevral time myself, im sure almost everyone has.

Cheers!
-0cer
:cool:

Intel tends to do offical price drops at the end of this month...
But dont hold your breath

Ahhh, ooops I see. hehe :D

OMG, that thing is dirt cheap!! I paid almost double for my xp3000 six months ago. I do have mixed feelings about this prescott thing tho.

dreIU said:

Is this a known fact that it will be capable of, or are we just hoping?

Nothing a month from now is a fact as it hasn't happened at. Its just my guess that with a month or so to work out issues this chip wil finally start ramping up to those kinds of speeds.

They are shooting for 4 ghz stock by the end of the year and us overclockers always see those speeds on air well before the stock processors of that speed are released.

To the point, don't wait for a month and then come beat me up because Prescott isn't doing 4 ghz on air, its just my prediction/guess or what ever you want to call it. I do however, give a guarentee that we will have chips that do 4 ghz on air by dec. 31st:D

Back