• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PS/2 vs. USB Mouse

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
There is an age-old argument that USB 1.1 is prohibitive of superior mouse performance because it limits the sampling rate to something like 60 updates/second. PS/2 supports 400.

In practice, this is probably a poor justification for holding onto PS/2 if you don't want to otherwise. The analog is like saying a graphics card sucks because you're limited to 100 FPS in Q3A, rather than 320 - your eyes don't see anything above around 35.

the one thing i prefer usb over ps/2 is the fact that it is much more durable if you have to unplug and replug the mouse in if you have to move your pc around alot. Bent a pin once on a ps2 mouse, but have never damaged a usb connector:D

aside from performace increase/decrease, i see none(for the same mouse)

Kevin

The biggest advantage I see to a USB mouse is the fact that it can be plugged and unplugged whenever. When diagnosing a computer, it's nice to just swap where the mouse it plugged in without rebooting.

I still use PS/2 though simply because it's all I have, and I might as well use my port for something :D

JigPu

USB is actually capable of sampling rates as high as 150hz, but that depends on the quality or durability of the product you buy.
PS/2 is limited to 250hz max and I've had numerous mice capable of averaging 210hz.
In order to bump up the default report rate of 80hz, you'll need to fix your mouse control panel properties in Windows XP. To do the same in Win98SE you'll need to download a program called PS2Rate.

Any USB device will use more system resources than a comparable PS/2 device. This will not make a noticable performance difference, unless you are using an older machine to play newer 3D games.

Last edited:
So what can a usb mouse that came with an adapter get? It was 100hz default with the adapter. I set it to 200 (the next step) and when i reboot i will see if it works or is any different (i dont wanna reboot now, comps been on 9 Days 18 hours, not going for a record, but i like to see how long i can go until windows crashes.

thanks, I just got a new mouse, both logitech, but the new one is a wireless one w/ a keyboard, and the reciever has a cable for keyboard and mouse, and the one for the mouse is USB, which I can change to PS2. But between the two mouses ive had, there is a HUGE noticable performance decrease in the speed and smoothness of the mouse, not only in feel but visually. My old mouse looked smooth and crisp as you moved it around the screen. My new one is a fluttery and skippy. Not slow, but not nearly as crisp or responsive... possibly since its wireless?

which logitech? i went from a mx500 to a mx duo and i noticed the mouse doesn't look as smooth, its probably due to the wireless. But performance wise it works the same in games.

I have the same wireless mouse as well (came with a keyboard/mouse combo), and I have to agree with your comments. I think it's just due to the quality of the mouse and receiver as a whole. I did get used to it, but stopped using it in favour of a 3 button USB Logitech Ball mouse since it consumed so many batteries.

On a OT note, 5 stars! :D

Back