• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HT and seti performance

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

daemoslives

Registered
Padded walls, straightjacket, sound familiar?
I have a question 'bout seti@home,

Running the p4 2.8c shown in my sig, with HT enabled....

1. Would it crunch faster if I had 2 instances of Seti running, with each program having affinity to opposite processors? (i.e. seti 1 running on cpu 0, and seti 2 running on cpu 1)

2. or would it just be quicker to crunch with one instance of seti running on both procs at the same time?

As of right now, it takes me about 2.35 hours/WU, and I think I could get a bit quicker than that.

crunch 2 at the same time the Wu's time might go up alittle but in the end it crunches 2 to about 1.25Wu's if u only had 1 crunching

hope u understood that :)

Thanks for the info guys, aside from disabling affinity, I have been doing all the tricks previously mentioned.
I woulda thought that having 2 copies of seti running on both processors at the same time would have slowed both of them down, but I'll give it a shot. I wanna at least break 500.

It does slow them down, but it doesn't take twice as long. Running two your completion times will be slightly higher, but you'll get more done per day.

Idle priority will use the unused cpu cycles so you can use the comp to do other things like browse the net without any slow downs. On normal priority your other programs would slow down. High priority is fun when used. Click a button in a program and wait a few mins for it to activate. :D

At any rate, the difference from idle to high priority will net you about a 1-2 second faster wu crunch time. So there's really no point in using any other priority other than idle. Hope this helps. :)

-Tyrinon

I run two instances of SETI under linux with SMP enabled in the kernel. I get about a 15% increase in speed when running two instances compared to one. Run two, your CPU time per work unit will go up, but your overall work unit output will increase.

sandweezle

Back