• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it true that Over Clocked Intel’s will decrease they OC ability?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Never. Usually a chip that has been OC'd and voltage has been right will either stay at the same speeds or be able to OC further after a good long burnin. Only way a CPU becomes less overclockable is when you give them too much voltage and then they die from electromigration. If that happens it is your fault not the CPU's. Anything over 1.7v is asking for it.

Yep, what Ol' Man said. Heat and high voltage are the two main causes of CPU failure. If cooled properly and never overvolted, then "sane" overclocking will not cause damage.

with a promie 1.74 probably won't hurt it but it could. If I had to guess i'd say that chip will die of condensation before it dies of over volting.

Well then please explain did my 2.4C 3.3GHz (275 FSB) with 1.55V for 3 months, then became instable in Prime95 (rounding error), and now only doing 3.2 (267 FSB)? Tried everything, including changing mobo and RAM, adjusting BIOS settings. And it was summer when it did 3.3, then in winter it could only do 3.2, lol :)

And I've heard some similar reports. Not much, but enough...

It is only the CPU that's holding me back now. I can even do 285/228 2-5-3-3 with my new mobo and RAM, but I always have rounding errors above FSB of 267 and it can't be fixed, only prolonged by a few minutes when increasing Vcore dramatically (1.65V+).

Heres my take on it!

While generally it is true that a brand new chip sporting a reasonable tempurature and reasonable voltage level will over time become more OCable as it becomes burned in, eventually it will probably get worse someday if it doesn't just suddenly poof, there are always exceptions to this and its possible some of the weak transistors in that chip have become even weaker. This is probably unlikely as the majority of results are the former as opposed to the latter when well planned overclocking is involved.

Maybe its possible that the cpu is getting too hot, this could cause the latter. On the other hand, its possible it isn't even your CPU... maybe your chipset is getting too hot, there are many different possibilities really. If there are rounding errors in the current conditions, then its best to stay away from using it in a way that results in rounding errors. You changed the board and everything so yes it looks like the cpu, I would still want to be redundant and attempt to test out the new board too, maybe you can run a program that works the chipset and fsb and ram hard while going easy on the cpu. what is your agp/pci frequency at? Locked? Do you notice a different in temps between when it could do 3.3 and when it failed the test at 3.3?

Well at any rate I hope you find out.

Back