• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

qusetion on and64 vs p42.8c

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rs600cubed

Im building a new system and am trying to decide between the two. I play alot of games and other than that just do dvdr burning and internet downloads. It sounds like the A64 3000+ sounds like a safe bet, but it doesnt sound like the m/b offerings seem all that great and Im afraid Ill have to turn around and buy a new mother board in a month or two for a good o/c and other good features. Im just curious for some input.

well the amd 64 is only capable of single channel memory and socket 754 has a short life span. So if you go amd don't be surprised if you find no upgrade path in the future. As for Intel any of the C class CPUs overclock fairly well and have good motherboards out. Prescott was just released but its a little early still to recommend that to anyone.

Go for the A64 better bang for the buck. Yes the socket will not last to long but it will last long enough. asus are a good place to look for motherboards.

In actuality, despite it's lack of dual-channel memory bus and short-lived pinout configuration, the A64 is whalloping most everything that Intel makes at stock speed.

If you want to compare overclocked scores vs overclocked scores, you'd better go with the A64 there too. 2300mhz A64 3000+'s are getting petter Superpi benches, Prime95 benches, 3DMark benches, Sandra benches and overall better game benches than most 3.6Ghz Intel rigs.

Wish I had held off on my M0 2.4C because I would have gotten a LOT more bang for my dollar had I spent the same (or less) money going with an A64 3000+.

Albuquerque said:
2300mhz A64 3000+'s are getting petter Superpi benches, Prime95 benches, 3DMark benches, Sandra benches and overall better game benches than most 3.6Ghz Intel rigs.

where have you seen those two benched properly against each other? got a link?

Steven4563 said:
ive seen in this forum and A64 3000+ @ 2.4ghz beating a P4 4.1ghz with same video and that in 3dmark2001

A64 = gaming

P4 = Video encoding

LINK??:rolleyes:

hUMANbEATbOX said:
i'll try to find it. its been awhile but it was actually 2.4ghz A64 beating a 4.2ghz northwood and it was posted on Xtremesystems.org.

thanks for the links.

last i saw, the top spots were something like a [email protected] (maybe, i'm guessing on the clocks) vs a [email protected] or something. the intel rig was fuggers anyhow. i think the amd rig was like 200pts away from 30k, and fugger's EE was like 60pts behind him..

i'll dig and try to find it....

*edit* also, gautam, do you now if that was a fx? or a regular a64? i didn't think that 2.4 from a a64 was all that reasonable (sure for some, attainable) simply because of the whole pci/agp lock thing.

**editagain** ok, searched through futuremark...what a POS search engine they've got. first of all, under p4 EE, there are NO results at all. then i check out regular p4's...OH, that's where they all ended up. luckily macci (who's at the top) put EE in the description, or i wouldn't have known, and assumed it was a regular p4.

ALSO, i can't find ANY results for a64's?? weird. anyways, i know its neck and neck at the top between a64 and EE, macci just cracked 30k with a EE, and like i said the top a64 i saw was like 200pts off that. macci - 30,951 @4538Mhz

here's fuggers fugger - 29436 @ 4386Mhz

the a64 rig was beating fuggers, so its too close to call.

i'm not posting these to say intels are better or anything, i just can't beleive i'm seeing 30k out of ANY chip/video card. doesanyone remember running 3dmark01 when it FIRST CAME OUT? back then i was like "OMG MY COMPUTER IS SOOO FAST!!! I'M GETTING 20 FPS! WOOO!".

Last edited:
maxvla, how did you find that? i would have posted that one for sure (31k!!!:eek: ) but when i searched with it set to amd athlon64 mhz range from 2000 to 3000mhz i found nothing?!

hUMANbEATbOX said:
maxvla, how did you find that? i would have posted that one for sure (31k!!!:eek: ) but when i searched with it set to amd athlon64 mhz range from 2000 to 3000mhz i found nothing?!
there are no athlon 64's because 3dmark01se was written and last updated a long time ago. it has no idea what an A64 is.

cypher said:
well the amd 64 is only capable of single channel memory and socket 754 has a short life span. So if you go amd don't be surprised if you find no upgrade path in the future. As for Intel any of the C class CPUs overclock fairly well and have good motherboards out. Prescott was just released but its a little early still to recommend that to anyone.

Jep, better stick with intel as socket 478 has such a long lifespan ahead of it... :rolleyes:

batboy said:
Well, that Sharky Extreme link worked last night. Not sure what's wrong.

Go to this thread and follow the link.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=268786

I think their server is probably busted, I got one page and the next would'nt open. Looking at the gaming benches on the first page it seemed like a p4ee would beat the A64 in some games. (did'nt see the regular P4 doing that well though?)

The 3.4EE beats the A64 and even the FX51 in almost everything except UT. The Prescott 3.2E makes a very respectable showing too. I think when the Prescott matures in the next few months and overclocking yields improve and with the right cooling, the Prescott might start surprising a lot of people.

Personaly, I don't give a hoot about a 3.4EE since they cost $1000 US and that's way out of most people's budget. But, I get tired of all the AMD folks claiming the A64 "owns" the P-4 when the evidence is that they are actually quite similar in performance in many of the benchmarks. AMD wins some and Intel wins some. Oddly enough they are quite similar in price too.

Sheesh... let's call a truce and declare a draw. I say pick out whichever one suits your needs the best. My point is that there is NO clear dominate winner with either Intel or AMD. You probably can't go wrong with either systems right now.

Personaly, I don't give a hoot about a 3.4EE since they cost $1000 US and that's way out of most people's budget. But, I get tired of all the AMD folks claiming the A64 "owns" the P-4 when the evidence is that they are actually quite similar in performance in many of the benchmarks. AMD wins some and Intel wins some. Oddly enough they are quite similar in price too.
Amen. I've been tired of this ever since people claimed that Northies "owned" AXP's.

Back