• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Installing CAT 5e

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DDR-PIII

Disabled
Well, I did my first real installation today of cat5e, it was for some people on a budget, so I told them I can do a good job for pretty cheap :)

They didnt want any new holes, so that means I couldnt run them through the floors so i did the next best thing.

It was only a two computer network so I onlt charged them $110 (CDN).

! computer in the back room, and one computer in the living room, so I picked up 2x50ft"they live in an 80ft trailer" of cat5e from my friend. I just want it under the carpet agianst the wall, and agianst the wall and they metup in the kitchen, so that was the only place the ran across the floor, so i put the router/switch in a small cupboard that they never use, the suggested that I put it there so i check for moisture, there was none so i put it in there (its right by their phoneline anyway). and that was that :) it checked out the speeds the ywere 80% on both computers "transfering files". So I pu ttheir DSL modem under there too, luckly there was a hole on the counter and i ran the phoneline through there and to the cupboard where the router/switch is and hooked that up, Normal speepds on bother computers when download :) 5 mbit .

And thats pretty much, oh yeah where the cat5e ran across the floor i picked up a 6ft length of this stuff that goes over the wire its like a small arch, it looks alot betetr and there is nothing that will get caught on it :). The ywere happy with the end result and tipped me sinec i had it done in 1hr.

I just wanted to share my first time with everyone ;)

for the money. . go wireless.... 80 dollars for the router and about 45 dollars per PC for the cards. . . Just my thoughts

Z

Wireless = far less speed between the computers. Plus it's a lot of security hassle.

Wire is still cheaper in the long run. I see reels of 1000ft selling for $40 @ a local Frys store near me. Plus norm I find reels for $50 so its not that bad and once you get a crimper and some RJ-45 connectors and you are good to go. Plus like mentioned above wireless isnt as fast unless you get the Dlink with 108mbps speed.. but then theres security. Overall CAT5 is easier. :)

BTW: Good job on the installation! :beer:

I got 1000' of wire for ~$45, 100 connectors for $8 USD. I can make many 25' patch cables and sell them less than people can get at the store. I make my money back AND wire my house for nothin'. Tools and wire get paid for.

I like a wired network for games and file transfers. Also I like that wire is more secure. I say you did the best thing for those folks. Good job.

ha ha
you guys are lucky

here they want like 2$ for each end
and like 30$ for a roll of 50ft cat 5 without ends

Zuzzz said:
for the money. . go wireless.... 80 dollars for the router and about 45 dollars per PC for the cards. . . Just my thoughts

Z

yeah they woulda had to but the wireless card for each computer and the wireless router and they didnt wanan spend much money for something that slow since it would be used for gaming and transfering large files. anyway :)

Back