• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory experts in real time?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blackjackel

Hmmm, looked around for guides on how to overclock ONLY your ram, couldnt find a guide specific enough

i have AIM, my handle is BLJACKEL. I also use all other IM systems through trillian. So if you can link me or explain to me how to get the most out of my ram, let me know ;)

a link to a guide would be great!

thanks!

Hey, i replied to the PM you sent me concerning memory questions... Let me see if I can help you along on this question as well...

Memory "overclocking" is a bit of a misnomer as the most fundamental thing to realize is the nature of the relationship between memory timings and system FSB.

Your best bet is to run your memory speed in synch with your CPU Front Side Bus settings. Meaning, if you are running your Barton at 200mhz FSB, then your memory should be running at DDR400, or PC3200 speed. WHY? Because the memory pipeline is ON the CPU FSB so having memory that will keep pace with CPU is ideal. On the same note, having memory speed set FASTER than FSB is useles and does not improve performance.

Thus overclocking ONLY YOUR RAM, well, won't give you much in terms of performance increase.

Here's a basic guideline to memory optimization.

1. Establish your peak system FSB with LOOSE memory settings.
2. Once you establish FSB, then start tightening up memory timings to maximize performance.
3. Check at every incremental step with memtest86 yo ensure memory stabilty.

Its a bit of a hit and miss in establishing high FSB and tight memory timings, but high quality BH-5 ICs with some extra voltage will easily give you 200+ FSB with tight timings.

Back