• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

On board gigabit lan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jpf

Registered
HI:I was useing the on board gigabit lan connection.I got
a pci net gear gigabit pci adapter.I disabled all the lan
connections in bios.But when window xp pro starts to boot up
it searchs for gigabit ethernet controller & DHCP.Is there a way to disable this.I uninstalled the on board drivers.
Thank You

Why don't you just use the onboard Gigabit LAN it's cheaper than buying a card and it frees up a PCI slot for other things. Gigabit LAN doesn't work anyways unless you have CAT 6 cables (normal cables are only CAT 5 and can only sustain 10/100 speeds) and a Gigabit switch and connection otherwise it's pointless.

Cat5 can attain gigabit speeds, just not officially, just as Cat3 can attain 100Mb, but not officially. The general rule of thumb is that it will run fine, just not as far (length of cable). Yes, I have tested them, yes they work fine; IMO Cat6 is not worth the extra cost unless you're wiring a building with it.

jpf said:
HI:I was useing the on board gigabit lan connection.I got
a pci net gear gigabit pci adapter.I disabled all the lan
connections in bios.But when window xp pro starts to boot up
it searchs for gigabit ethernet controller & DHCP.Is there a way to disable this.I uninstalled the on board drivers.
Thank You

Open up My Network Neigbhood Properties (right click) --> Right click on the old ethernet connection and disable it.

I cant get the onboard lan to work ..It dosent pick up my ip or anything.Is that why because im not using cat6 line? My MoBo CD
says the driver for the onboard LAN is for the Lanparty board only..I have to change my sig but I have the Ultra NF2 Infinity board. Let me know if their is a driver that works with the onboard LAN or is just my Cat 5 cable holding me back,,,,,let me know, thanks

Back