• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

problem with kernel 2.6.2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kaltag

Good evening, I have gotten kernel 2.6 to install and run PERFECTLY on both my laptops but I have a desktop machine that refuses to behave. In particularly it seems that modules aren't working. Anything I compile into the kernel works fine (except firewire) but anything compiled as a module doesn't get built or installed right or something. For the install after extracting to /usr/src/linux-2.6.2 I run make menuconfig, enabled module loading, and setup everything I need and then save the confoguration, then make, make bzImage, make modules, make modules_install, make install. Then I copy the bzImage file from /usr/src/linux-2.6.2/arch/i386/boot to /boot and configure and run lilo. After rebooting, eveything built into the kernel works fine but modules don't. During the boot process I get multiple erros saying FATAL: blah blah module not found and if I try to modprobe any modules that should be there it says it can't find them. Any ideas what might be causing this problem? Please ask for more info you need it.

With the 2.6 kernels, you only need to do make && make modules_install. IDK if that would cause your problem, but it might be what you're running into. Did you check if everything in /lib/modules/`uname -r` (note that ` isn't the same as ' ) is where it's supposed to be?

Christoph, I'm not exactly sure what you mean by 'uname-r'. under /lib/modules I have 2.4.22 and 2.6.2 . I do have far fewer subdirectories under the 2.6.2 directory than the 2.4.22. actually I just ran uname -r and it echoed 2.6.2 so I suppose that's correct.

kaltag said:
Christoph, I'm not exactly sure what you mean by 'uname-r'. under /lib/modules I have 2.4.22 and 2.6.2 . I do have far fewer subdirectories under the 2.6.2 directory than the 2.4.22. actually I just ran uname -r and it echoed 2.6.2 so I suppose that's correct.

If you type that directory exactly as I typed it (ie run ls /lib/modules/`uname -r`) it will look at the directory that corresponds to the current kernel. The backquotes tell your shell to execute the command inside them and treat it as if you'd typed it instead. You can get the same result with ls /lib/modules/$(uname -r).

D'oh! thecondor hit the nail on the head. There are some significant differences in the way modules work between 2.4 and 2.6, and you need to get the new set of tools. It'd been long enough since I did that that I completely forgot about it.
If you ever want to switch back to a 2.4 kernel, you don't need to uninstall the new module tools. The old ones will be used automatically.

Back