• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Raid: changing pci slot?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cavy

hey all.

after setting up a mirror raid, under winXP, i have noticed there is a IRQ conflict with the Geforce4, AGP vid card, which is causing some problems.

Is it possible to move my raid card to another pci slot, without having to start again?

I Imagine that it should be fine, but i thought i would find some info.

thanks heaps

Welcome to the Forums!! :D

Which PCI slot did you have it in? Since your using a raid card and not something onboard. I don't think there will be a problem moving it to another PCI slot. All the setup info is on the card itself. If it doesn't work it shouldn't hurt anything. Give it a try and tell us how it goes :)

Hey thanks for the welcome.

Currently the raid card is in PCI 2, i wanted to put in it PCI 1, but its too close to the video card and cuts off the air supply, eh.

Do the PCI slots work in a priority, as in would one get more performance from PCI slot 1 over PCI Slot 4?

Anyway ill give it a go first thing tomorrow, see what happens.

thanks.

Your welcome ;) This is a great place with awesome people too. Make sure you read all the stickies. There is a wealth of information inside them. Oh and don't forget the search feature. Most times, if not, if you have a question it might have already been answered previously ;)

If you didn't already know. You should never put anything in the PCI slot next to your video card. It will definatly cause the problems you are having. Sometimes it happens with the second slot too. It is more rare but can still happen. I would give 3 a try.

There really isn't a performance difference between the PCI slots. In my previous system I had my ethernet card in both slot's 5 and 3 but didn't see any difference in internet usage.

Thanks for the advice, anyway, i changed the raid card over from slot 2, into slot 3, the change over was seamless, phew. heh.

yes u's are right there is no real noticable performance loss, which is good.

running: asus a7n8x-x, st labs pci ata 133 raid A-142 sil 0680 ata, maxtor 80gb, and seagate 80gb, raid 1.

Back