• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

One of the Sponge things fell off now the computer wont start ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rippedsocks

system:
AXP 1900+
A7v8x
512 pc 2700 kingston hyper x
Geforce 4 ti4200

I'm going through everything that it could possible be. I get no picture on the monitor BUT it says "System Failed CPU's Hot" or something like that. So i took of the Volcano 11+ and im missing one of the little sponge things. Could that cause the balance to be wrong and make the computer not start? I cleaned the processor and re put AS5 and started up. Same thing wont start and says system failed CPU's hot.

Not at all, those things are there to protect the CPU core from crushing it while placing the Heatsink... with the heat sink off try removing and replaceing the cpu, also have a look at the CPU temp diode. Maybe its dead I dont know...

I would be able to see if the CPU core was crushed wouldn't I ? its still flawless.

try resetting cmos by crossing the jumpers or removing the battery for a couple of mins (dont really need that long but good practice) might be that something is corrupted in bios

UPDATE:
I just basicalyl took every piece of my computer and put it in his. HSF, CPU, GFX, RAM. Then it said the same thing "System Failed CPU hot." This is basically the setup i had 2 days ago that worked perfect since the A7V8X thats in his comp was mine. The only thing that is difference is the case. WTF !!!! i have only the ram and gfx in, like the minimum. WTF is wrong with this thing, when i get to his house im gonna try a different case but that cant be it.

It is possible that you damaged the core. It is also possible that without the missing pad, your HSF is ever so slightly tilted, reducing contact with the core and causing high heat levels (I had this problem with my SLK-800 when I didn't install the pads).

The rubber feet found in four corners on the CPU, equally spaced from the die. They're little black circles that are meant to absorb pressure when mounting a heatsink.

~THT

I tried my CPU and my HS in the computer and i still get "system failed CPU's hot" !!! this is absurd because this means that it is exactly my system in a different case. So knowing that i just tried A DIFFERENT CASE!!!. Stil "system failed CPUS hot" ! wtf could this be.

A guy I know just ended up with a fried CPU. It was working fine and one day it just died. There is a pad on it that is ripped up, but not competely gone. I asked him if he thought that was the problem, and he said he doubted it. I'm thinking that was the cause as in your case. Try to find a replacement pad, or pick up a CPU shim and see if your processor will work.

Back