• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how you intell fans like this one ???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Now why are you trying to stir the pot?
You ain't gonna make any freinds that way.... we all know that intel messed up with the math co-processor.
and nobody really wants to get one because of that, but I think intel will straighten it out..It's not the first time either.
I also think that when intel figures out what happened, you will see AMD get left in the dust, just like before.
Not only that, but the P4 is new technology, and a completely new architecture, and as such, there's gotta be a few glitches along the way. I think the next gen P4 will smoke every thing else in the x86 range.
Every intel x86 chip since the Pentium pro has had the same core..with slight improvements. the P4 (IA-32) will have teething pains for a while, but don't count Intel out of the race...I think they are just getting warmed up.
I have nothing against AMD, but most of the Amd fans here seem to think that everybody should dump Intel and jump on the AMD bandwagon..I have too much money invested in intel products, and have no plans to "jump ship", just to satisfy somebodies ego.
And just to set the record straight, all the AMD's with the exception of the "3dnow" technology are still copies of intels x86, sure they have been doing great with their new 3dnow, but in all other aspects it's still a copy, and as such still nothing new...At least Intel is trying to come up with something for the future.
I know, some will spout off something about the new chips due to come out from AMD, but right now, it's still vaporware.
Also the PIII at the same clock speed still smokes the Tbird, so who cares if the P4 dosen't measure up? I'll stick with my PIII.
Well, that's my rant for the day

not tryint to stir up nething i have a P3

im just showing how much intell is messing up with there P4's

who cares, it's what people WANT to buy, not what's best, if they want to buy intel let them, and anyways, remember how horrible the k6 1/2/3 were? and don't forget, intel has to create new technology, while amd just concentrates on the cpu itself, they took the slot idea directly, changed and few specs and called it their own, then went back to sockets when intel went back, so just let people think for themselves and don't push your preferences into their heads

Jason (Apr 24, 2001 03:13 a.m.):
why you fighting ?
lol

something you're missing........this is the forum for Intel fans and questions.

In a very short response, I don't think any Intel fans are rushing out to grab a P4 due to the KNOWN shortcummings. However you're considered a "troller". You're attempting to start a flame war, and that is NOT what this forum is about. We have a section for "debates" and that is where you should post your opinions of Intel's short commings. If you continue this activity, I'm sure you will eventually regret it.

Talk to fellow AMD fans about how grea AMD is and how Intel sucks.....no one here wants to hear it. (consider this a warning)

we know the p4 'sucks' for most applications, and we dont need to hear it out of a troll

I'm sorry but did anyone actually read the attachment? The P4 is superior to the Athlon w/ larger data sets. The Athlon is better than the P4 w/ smaller data sets do to addtional cache utilization. Everone is to quick to bark out a reply and not even read the article....

Who says this a forum for intel proponents? I thought this forum was for 'how to' deal with the inferior retail market CPUs? I don't go around praising Intel, though I do slam AMD often... I go hear to learn not to promote their products for free.

Before the literature majors get wind of this, I apologise for my last post's poorly grammatical in advance of the before criticsjizm.

Jason (Apr 24, 2001 12:54 a.m.):

wow look at that thats so funny the tbird 1.2 ghz outperforms the new p4 1.7 ghz ?
wow p4 is sad

Obviously you did not read the article, here are two quotes from that link

"Once we get to those sharp, downward curves, we're accessing main memory to perform the calculations. And once that happens, the Pentium 4's fast front-side bus and dual RDRAM channels kick into high gear. The Pentium 4 delivers well over twice the sustained performance of the PC133 SDRAM-based Athlon system with larger data sets, and it crushes the Pentium III, as well. A very impressive showing. "

"Again, the P4 outperforms the Athlon by a solid margin. I should note here that the Pentium 4's ability to perform so well on these tests isn't just the product of its dual RDRAM channels. Yes, the P4's memory subsystem offers a lot of bandwidth, but the processor is able to take advantage of it. By contrast, the Athlon's PC2100 DDR SDRAM theoretically doubles memory bandwidth over PC133, but the processor doesn't seem to be able to make use of it. We don't know for sure yet, but many folks are speculating that the Pentium 4 could make better use of DDR SDRAM than the Athlon does. "

Sounds just like the opposite to me...

We all know the athalon has more cache, which is why it performs a little better at the begining of the test, but when it comes time for the processor to access something in main memory, look out, the P4 KICK's A$$!!

actually one of my friends is concidering buying a p4 for doing large media encoding. the chip may not be perfect yet but it does do a few thing good.

I don't understand where you get the idea that a p3 at the same clock speed smokes the tbird, it is true that due to the fact that most programs are optimised for sse that when running at the same clock speed there will be less than a 5% differance, but I don't think comparing clock speed is a fair measure any more, I think performance/price ratio is more important, and a tbird costing the same as a p3 at any speed (ignoring the fact that the tbird goes to higher speeds) will smoke a p3, this is before any overclocking takes place, the same goes for the p4, you can't get tbirds that expensive at the moment which gives you a chanve to concentrate on more important apsects such as the vid card, memory and hardrive, theres no way a p4 and tbird system put together for the same price could perform as well as each other, the comparative tests I have seen un magazines that have had p4's included have all lacked many features, the manufacturers cut back on many features, such as 128mb vs 256mb, and I have seen some use the tht2 m64 video card to keep prices down, I really don't understand why the p4 is so expensive, I used to think that it was mostly down the the large die size but it is only slightly bigger than a tbird (I think the tbird is 37 million transistors and the p4 has 42 million)

I don't think that comparing price/performance ratio's is a good way to compare processors. It doesn't cost intel more to make their CPU's, they just charge more. No big deal. And sa far as teh P4 goes, it's just a new architecture so give it a while, when it does a die shrink and the new P478 format it will get cheaper, better and faster. And when the P4 is running at 2.5 Ghz i'd like to see any CPU stand up to it. Also considering that this is an overclockers site, you should all know that due to it's extremely deep pipeline it is extremely overclockable. Just go to Sharky's and they have a good review on the P4 1.5 Ghz. I used to be an AMD hater but I've grown resonable in my old age (haha). Their not bad CPU's but the one thing I like about science and technology is that it keeps progressing and those at the front of the pack are the most exciting. Intel has always been doing that, even if we don't like there good business sense (RDRAM anyone?). Whew, sorry for the long post but I just get so worked up, j/k.

Katabatik (Apr 24, 2001 03:58 p.m.):
I don't think that comparing price/performance ratio's is a good way to compare processors. It doesn't cost intel more to make their CPU's, they just charge more. No big deal. And sa far as teh P4 goes, it's just a new architecture so give it a while, when it does a die shrink and the new P478 format it will get cheaper, better and faster. And when the P4 is running at 2.5 Ghz i'd like to see any CPU stand up to it. Also considering that this is an overclockers site, you should all know that due to it's extremely deep pipeline it is extremely overclockable. Just go to Sharky's and they have a good review on the P4 1.5 Ghz. I used to be an AMD hater but I've grown resonable in my old age (haha). Their not bad CPU's but the one thing I like about science and technology is that it keeps progressing and those at the front of the pack are the most exciting. Intel has always been doing that, even if we don't like there good business sense (RDRAM anyone?). Whew, sorry for the long post but I just get so worked up, j/k.

it actualy costs intel less to make the p3 as it is smaller than the tbird and duron, yet it celeron is slower and more expensive than the duron and the same goes for the tbird/p3, and as for it not be

intel more for it's 633 celeron than amd do for their 800mhz duron which would whipe the floor at default speed and overclock about 100mhz higher giving it an even bigger performance increase, the p4 may get better with it's next release, I have only ever bashed the current p4 as until I see some prices and benchmarks of the next one the only thing that I can complain about is the short life span of the current architechture, i have never seen a processor and motherboard last for such a short period of time.
Besides the the palamino is due soon, though it is pretty much the same as the tbird it will run significantly cooler and thus faster, at the end of the day it is intels current products that are under fire for being sub standard

Back